I need opinions on choosing roosters.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FriendlyFlyer, Aug 27, 2012.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chirping

Jul 16, 2011
    Ok. I have 2 roosters (both barred rocks) and can only keep one. Technically I believe they are "cockerels". They are not full grown and haven't mated yet. I need help choosing which one to keep. I want one that will protect my hens (not that the situation would ever arise) and still treat me well. From your experience which one would be better. Here are their qualities:

Rooster#1:
    -more dominant
    -flighty, always runs from me
    -feathers are slightly messy

Rooster#2:
    -less dominant
    -runs from me but will still eat out of my hand and come near me
    -well groomed bird

I know it's not a lot but I guess it boils down to this: if I keep the nicer one, will he eventually become meaner like the dominant one or stay nice? and if he does stay nice, will he still protect the hens (most of which are older than him but I'm guessing when he's grown and mature he'll be in charge). Please help me. Thank you!

2. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Songster

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I can't be much help, but will add my 2 cents. I had a roo who as a cockrel was mostly like your #2 roo, but when he got to be around a year old and the horomones kicked in, he became very aggressive toward us, but was great to the ladies. He eventually went to freezer camp and I am now trying to figure out how to get a people friendly roo, myself. Good luck!

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    My vote is #2. Keep wooing with treats. My cockerel that I got at 16 weeks just started eating out of my hand this week, he is now 21 weeks. He is a Splash Orpington, so very docile. He keeps about a 2' buffer when we are in the yard, but I can pick him up for inspection without too much fuss. He soon realizes that I am not putting him down until I am ready, and then I give him treats. Treats are the way to go. And I only treat from a sitting position so he doesn't associate me walking/standing as treat time, but when I sit he is now the first one to me.

4. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chirping

Jul 16, 2011
    Thank you both! I was really unsure about what to do. I will keep the #2 and I will keep working with him. I did not consider the fact that oncehormones kick in he may not be the same but hopefully his docile side will balance the hormone flood. :) Thank you!!

5. memphis

memphis Free Ranging

Aug 6, 2012
    #2 for sure. I just went thru the same thing. Had to choose between 5 roosters. Finally chose the nicest one. He's 22 weeks now and is still nice to me and the girls. I feed him treats from my hand, sitting in a chair, several times a day. He's not crazy about being picked up but settles down quickly with treats. He actually sits down in my lap & goes to sleep if I rub his belly. Such a guy! Sure hope he stays nice. Time will tell. Hopefully consistant socialization will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: