I need opinions on what shed to buy.

wren

Crowing
13 Years
May 27, 2007
St Augustine, FL
Hi everyone,

I live in Florida. I have four acres and I need a new shed for chickens. I have around seven thousand dollars to spend on this and a piece of ground that stays fairly dry. Anyone have an sheds they can recommend?

I can't build this on my own.

I had the Amish build me a nice coop that is 10x12 and was all set up and delivered for $900. Find someone who builds them and get one the way you want it. I wouldn't buy a kit or pre-made one from a hardware store. They are more expensive and not as sturdy usually.

You could always have someone build a pole barn for you. My friend just had a 24x36 pole barn built for $4200.

I don’t know what size you are looking at. You can go to Home Depot, Lowe’s, or maybe a building supply or lumber yard and look at their prefab buildings. Find one that suits you in appearance and size. They’ll almost certainly erect it for you for a price.

You’ll have to do modifications, roosts, probably nests, and likely a pop door. You’ll have to add a lot of ventilation. In Florida heat can kill chickens. If you don’t want to do that yourself and don’t have a handyman, chat with the erectors. They may do that for you on the side. I suggest a wooden building. They are easier to work on and if you use a light color, don’t get as hot as a metal building.

Don’t forget you will need a foundation of some type to keep it up off the ground and away from termites. They may not provide a foundation for you. Cinder blocks, treated wood, or a concrete foundation will all work, but you need a way to attach the building to the foundation so a hurricane or thunderstorm doesn’t blow it away.

I also suggest you don’t get a floor. Use the ground. You said it was fairly dry, but maybe add a few inches of dirt or sand inside to raise that level even more.

Another option is to come up with a design and get a local contractor or handyman to build it for you from scratch. That way you don’t really have to coordinate anything. There might be some benefits if the guy doing the foundation has to put the building on top of it.

Good luck.

I found a guy on craigslist but he was not insured or licensed. I found sheds on Craigslist but moving one is too expensive! I have room for something 25' by 60'. One contractor wanted to charge me $50 a square foot!

I don't really want a kit...

I've searched and searched I need someone to build this for me. Keep the ideas coming!

I found a guy on craigslist but he was not insured or licensed. I found sheds on Craigslist but moving one is too expensive! I have room for something 25' by 60'. One contractor wanted to charge me $50 a square foot!

I don't really want a kit...

I've searched and searched I need someone to build this for me. Keep the ideas coming!

Local High School?

Drafting class designs you a coop and their building trades class provides the labor to build it.

Really? Wow! That would be a miracle! My high school never did anything that cool.

Our small local High School Building Trades builds houses.

The Board that oversees the class are Professional Contractors as is their Teacher.

Students learn how to and you get free labor.

Back
Top Bottom