I need opinions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MinniesMomma, Sep 15, 2019.

1. MinniesMomma

MinniesMomma Songster

Apr 22, 2018
    Caldwell Tx
    My Coop
    I have five chicks, all of them hatched either Thursday or Friday. I have been able to watch them all weekend and be sure that mamas are doing a good job, water is available, all of that stuff. Tomorrow I go back to work and my quandry is this. If I leave them with mamas there is a chance they will be injured or dehydrated or whatever while I am at work. I could put them in the brooder with food and water and I know they would be safe. However, when mamas raise them, they are integrated almost immediately and if I take them away I will have to do that myself later. Also, there are a few eggs still to hatch and the mamas are basically ignoring them. What should I do?

MROO and 9SpiceyChickens like this.
  2. 9SpiceyChickens

9SpiceyChickens Crowing

Jul 24, 2018
    In the coop, Northern CA
    Do you have an extra incubator?

Leave the chicks with the mamas, they love their babies as much as you do <3

SparrowFlight and MROO like this.
  3. getaclue

getaclue Enabler

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Put an extra water source in for them, as insurance they'll stay hydrated, and keep them with mama.

4. MinniesMomma

MinniesMomma Songster

Apr 22, 2018
    Caldwell Tx
    My Coop
    I have several waterers in different areas and I do not have any incubators. I do think the mamas would be very stressed if I took their babies away.

9SpiceyChickens likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If the broody hens are off their nests and with the hatched chicks, those other cold eggs aren't going to hatch. have you candled them to see what's happened in there? Are they duds anyway?
    I leave chicks with their mamas, although are there any problems with the different broody hens interacting with each other? If they are getting along that's great, if arguing, separate the families for now.
    Mary

6. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Leave the chicks with mama, toss the old eggs, go back to work, and don't stress. A mama hen knows 1000% more about raising chicks than the entire collective on this forum.

PerlyBee, BigBlueHen53, MROO and 2 others like this.
  7. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So very true!!!

ChickenCanoe likes this.
  8. MinniesMomma

MinniesMomma Songster

Apr 22, 2018
    Caldwell Tx
    My Coop
    I appreciate all your input! I am going to leave the babies alone. All three Mamas are getting along fine, and even seemed to take turn watching the chicks. I have one more Broody hen and gave the eggs to her. I'm not exactly sure what I am looking for inside the eggs but some of them are still warm.

MROO likes this.
  9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Broody hens have been raising chicks for millions of years and humans with chicks have been going to work for tens of thousands of years - leaving the task to hens. They don't need your intervention.

MROO likes this.
  10. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Look up embryonic development as seen in candled eggs; it's obvious if there's no development, partial development, and sometimes if the embryo is moving in there. It's not fun to have a rotten egg explode under a broody hen! :sick
    Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: