I need patience! (pics of the chicks added :D)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bex, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    We placed an order with Ideal about 2 weeks ago.. When I talked to the lady she said everything was sold out except an assortment of Bantams for the 29th, and we needed that day so that they could ship the two ducklings out that we wanted too (they're now sold out for the season)...

So we placed the order for 8 Bantams and 2 ducklings.. and from what I understand they are adding 4 packing peanuts. Then I had seen that on the site it said almost everything I wanted was available.. So I wasn't "that" excited..

But now I am! The last time I had chicks was easter of last year, my first ever chicks. Then we had ducklings early this year (and have 6 in the brooder now).. But gee, this is exciting.. and now I'm worried about them being shipped - I didn't think it was going to be so cold..

[​IMG]

Any good stories from people who have shipped babies in this type of weather?

They ship tomorrow. Should be here Thursday or Friday. [​IMG]

.. Yes.. I talk to much. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I've never had chicks shipped at all! I hope the babies are ok, but tons of people have them shipped all the time and they are fine!!
    Good luck! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Oh my goodness...I'd be a little worried cause of this crazy weather!!! It is raining and FREEZING here(MD)!!! Wishing you LOTS of luck!!! [​IMG] ~T

4. Bex

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    When we placed the order the weather was still so nice, it was crazy. We had thought (maybe more hope than anything) that the weather would still be like it was then. No way! Its windy and cold and it had been raining for the last two days.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    You will probably get more than 4 "packing peanuts". They send more when the weather is cold. I got 15 in my order that shipped on the 22. (We ordered 10 chicks.) They should be fine.[​IMG]

6. Bex

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    They told us that they'd be throwing in 4 extra chicks for warmth. I honestly hope they send more than that, just to be safe.. Even if I have to figure out what to do wtih all those roos later on.

7. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    If you ordered from Ideal... well, they really like to throw in those packing peanuts! lol. I think I got 12 Packing peanuts from them one time! And I LIVE right here in TX! [​IMG] So, I'm sure they will make your chicks extra warm and cozy!

Be sure to post pics when you get them!

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Just out of curiousity, but do you ever get pullets instead of roos as packing peanuts?

I can't wait to see pictures!!! I want to order my next set of chicks - but I have to wait a little bit longer. All in good time I guess.

[​IMG] that they arrive safely!!

9. Bex

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    That is a good question Sequin! I can't imagine they actually waste time/effort sexing chicks just to be thrown in for extra warmth.. Or do they? :thun

This my first time ordering from Ideal. I've used Mcmurray the previous two times, and I doubt I ever will use them again.

10. dastardlydeed

dastardlydeed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Hatboro, Pa
    i ordered mine in august from texas...they were born september 12th and i got them the next day. id ordered four and got twelve. LOL all alive. two were very weak and next to death so i supplemented them with the GEL in a watery form drop by drop w/ eye dropper every hour and they ended up just fine. i think all my extras are BOYS! UGH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by