I need Poison ivy/oak cure

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by emvickrey, Sep 15, 2010.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I had a predator get into one of my quail cages last week and I thought I lost all 4 that where in there till a man stopped and told me I had 3 quail in the road. So I take off with the net and go after them. They had gone into the woods and me being me [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] go into the woods after them. I had on shorts and crocks and a t shirt. Well after wantering around chasing one, I walked home and put her up. Then proceeded to find the other 2. I'm wandering around making my way over downed limbs and vines going after them. Then DH Shows up to help and he gets one and I had just caught one as he was walking up.

Well.......we got 3 out of 4 back and I started having what I thought was chiggers popping up on the inside of my upper thighs. So I do the New Skin thing to kill them off. It did no good. I now have welps going around the tops of my thighs way too close to anything else, if you know what I mean. I also had a couple spots pop up on my shin on one leg. I've been using calamine lotion real thick but I thought I wasn't allergic. DH can practically preath it and he's a big welp. But not me. It has to be something other han poison oak because that is what he is allergic to and after 30 years, i've never gotten it from him.

So it must be one or both of the other rotten itchy plants that I was crawling around. Could somebody please, please, please send me some suggestions as to how to get rid of this before it spreads upward. So far it's going around. It itches and burns even with calamine lotion on it. It is nearly impossible for me to get down inside a tub so if that is my only choice i'll have to get help with that but I sure could use some good ol home remedies. They work better anyway. I also tried the alcohol. It hurt like the blazes but stipped the itching for a little while. Maybe because the burning kept my mind off it. [​IMG]

I put on long pants today to keep from it touching anything and spreading it any faster or anybody else getting it. So I have that covered and everytie I use the bathroom I put another thick coat on it again of calamine lotion. Mostly because it lets me rub it and it's kinda like scratching so I get a little releif for a few seconds.

2. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    We always use one cup of Clorox to a gallon of water and scrub it really well and it seems to dry it up pretty good.

3. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:Thank you. I'm on it.

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Lye soap.

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    We have plenty of poison ivy and oak around my place that my boys tend to find. I usually call my doctors office and they call in a 4 day prescription for a steriod - it's usually only $2.00. My doctors office is used to my boys getting the stuff so they don't require for us to come in anymore - your doctor office might. Good luck.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i've heard tomato paste takes out the itch- never tried it though

7. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:Mine wont do anything forme without an office visit. I was suppose to have an xray then an MRI and I don't have transportation. When I got it I called for an appt. I was told I had to call my doc to get her to call in a new scrip for it. I did and she wanted me to come to her office for a visit just so she could say, Yeah go ahead and do it. It's all about money with some.

8. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:I'll make a point to get some.

9. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    You have to break down the oil your skin absorbed to get it to stop. I do the alcohol. Then get a product called Ivarest. It works great, otherwise you may have to do the steroid. My friends kid ALWAYS has to have the steroid. It could be poison sumac instead of poison ivy or poison oak.

10. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:I need to bathe in something in a very large tub. I have spots popping up everywhere. I may need to go to ER and get a shot before i'm covered in this mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by