I need pop door ideas!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Vince, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Vince

Vince Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Harrison, Tn
    Some of you folks please post pics of your pop doors. I need professional help.
    Once I get my pop door installed I will post pics of the completed project.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Here's a picture of my pop door. This is when the coop was just nearing completion (it looks so clean then!). (Since the picture I've added a stop beneath the opening of the door to limit lower travel, and a means for opening it.) My pop door is made of laminated oak which glides in what are essentially homemade "U" channels made from aluminum angle sections, made to accommodate the width of the oak. (This is back when I was still doing everything the hard way!) I made it out of oak because I wanted the door's weight to prevent entry by predators. It has succeeded to that end. I wouldn't necessarily recommend using wood, however, as mine warped, requiring disassembly, planing, sanding, and restaining!

Good luck!

[​IMG]

3. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Here's a couple of shots of mine.. I used aluminum shelf rails for the glides, mounting them to 2x4's within a rabbit so they were flush.

The entire door assembly is separate and removable. The only fixed part is the lower rest, which is the bottom most horizontal 2x4 that the assembly sets against.

[​IMG]

The bottom sill was mounted at an angle to shed any rain water away from the door, as was the top 3/4" roof section. I still need to trim out the coop, so you can clearly see the mounting hole.

[​IMG]

4. Vince

Vince Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Harrison, Tn
    Thanks for the ideas you two. I have built a 8x12 coop and have sidding on it. The doors are doulble 2' wide each and one stays dead bolted and the other hinged open. Just dont want to screw up cutting into my siding. I built this thing along the lines of home plans. Studs, rafters, headers. Got it primered and caulked just ready for the final coats. Hope to post pics this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by