I need PRETTY MAJOR help?!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sloallie10, May 17, 2009.

1. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Ok, heres the story: My really good friend is now getting chickens! YAY! Shes getting 2 (mabye SLW). I think she is getting them next thursday. THey need a coop. Her dad wants it to be under $100, and easy, simple, fast to build. and possibly he wont be building it, 4 girls 12-16 years old will. So im helping them since i live 1 house down (and i like know a lot about chickens!) and they are thinking of a fast simple coop. they have this dog house that is pretty small, but then i found this free dog house on craigslist. i dont know the measurements for either. I really need your guys help to help me (and them) to plan. Suggesttions?

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  2. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I have seen dog house runs...I would guess a dog house is big enough for two chickens...isn't it 1 square foot per bird inside???

3. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    dog house run? and i think its 4 sq ft. ???????

4. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Here are a couple of ideas using a dog house

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I snagged some of these pics off an old backyard chicken thread re: dog house coops...

5. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:I meant 1 bird only requires 1 square foot indoors if they have a run outdoors to stretch their legs...if she's only getting 2 chickens (is that right?) then a dog house should be plenty big for a coop....

I sure hope someone with some building skill pops in and helps out! [​IMG]

6. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    do you know how many chickens those coops hold? how big are the dog houses?

7. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Also check CRAIGSLIST.COM they often have chicken coops for sale or free for the taking....

8. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:they are backyard chicken folks...so let me see if I can find a link to the thread that had them posted so you can send them a message asking dimensions. [​IMG]

9. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
  10. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:I meant 1 bird only requires 1 square foot indoors if they have a run outdoors to stretch their legs...if she's only getting 2 chickens (is that right?) then a dog house should be plenty big for a coop....

I sure hope someone with some building skill pops in and helps out! [​IMG]

ya shes getting 2 chickies, BUT the dog house that they have is like (guess) is about 2 1/2 feet long, 1 1/2 feet wide, and 2 feet tall. does that help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by