I Need Protection for a Cage

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AliciaOrpington, Jul 24, 2017.

1. AliciaOrpington

AliciaOrpington In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2017
    Okay, we have a rabbit cage at our farm and five chicks lived in there. A raccoon got in because part of the roof was broken and got the chicks. Afterwards, I hammered the broken roof. Any tips on how to use more protection for a cage like this?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sorry for your Loss. You have to always, with any cage/coop/set-up stand back and look to see if there is any way a predator can get in to them. Rabbit cages or any wire cage----the bottom has to be protected so something can not get under it and get a hold on their feet and pull them down to the wire. Have to make sure the sides are where no chick/chickens roost nest to the wire where a animal can reach through and pull them to the wire to kill them. Good Luck!

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have a a row of Dumor rabbit cages that are set on 55-gallon barrels that difficult for raccoons to jump up on. Hotwire is then used to keep raccoons from approaching area where barrels are located. In a pinch I can affix hotwire to the rabbit cages although the cages must be grounded for that to work.

4. AliciaOrpington

AliciaOrpington In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2017

Thanks for the suggestions. By the way, we moved the cage into one of our chicken pens.

5. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Crowing

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    I have hardware cloth on 3 sides & bottom, wood on front, & tin on top

6. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Crowing

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    That's a good idea. Our rabbit lives in a dog crate inside our chicken pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: