1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need put on a Maran List!!!! Anyone in IN?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Sebrightmom, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I am looking for Maran Breeders. I am not sure what kind of Marans will be best for me. I love the dark eggs. Can Marans be shown? I am new to the breed. I want like any kind besides Cuckoo. I really would like to buy chicks or adults, but eggs will be ok for next spring. Is there anyone that has Marans in Indiana? I would love to see the birds and eggs before I buy them.Thanks

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Gina (ginasmarans) is in TN and she has Cuckoo Marans.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Richard (MaransGuy) on here has Marans and I believe he's in Indiana...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  4. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Thank you. I will try to get in touch with both of them. Thanks

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Good luck, and DO YOUR RESEARCH. If you are after very dark eggs, you will need to be very patient and be put on a list. Make sure to get pics of eggs before committing to buy.

6. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I have Black coppers and wheatens from Bev Davis, they are not laying yet, so I dont know how dark their eggs will be yet. They just turned 6 months old this week. I keep looking for my frist egg.

I also have cuckoos, some feathered leg, some clean, but their eggs are not that dark, darker then my RIR's. I dont know their blood line. They may not lay as dark of eggs as they should be, but I really like the birds, nice, big, calm and good setters, so I keep em around. ..........................

7. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Thank you. That is why I am trying to find some now and be put on a list. There are so many people out their selling eggs that I don't want to buy. I thought maybe I could find someone half way close that I could go see their chickens and eggs.

8. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
  9. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Thank you for the website. Right now, I can't afford to pay that much for chickens. I can't believe they want $25 for day old chicks. Their eggs are very dark.

10. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    The average marans egg sold on eBay last month cost about $19. When you order eggs through the mail, expect a hatch rate of 50% or less. So, $25 for a live chick is actually less expensive than you will probably be paying for a live chick if you order hatching eggs off eBay. Last month on eggbid.com, day-old black copper marans chicks sold for about $40 each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by