1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need rabbit help quick........

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PrinceFarm, Apr 18, 2009.

1. PrinceFarm

PrinceFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    My rabbit had been very late having her babbies so I thought I she was not pregnant. I moved her back in the cage with the male. Last night and all day today it has been raining awful and I didnt notice that she had 3 babies in the cage with the male. One of the babies was dead and 2 had fallen out of the cage and were on the ground outside the cage but seemed healthy. I feel awful for this. I put the babies and the moma and the nest box back in her cage but I am concerned because I have heard she might eat them or not want to take care of them. Please help

2. PrinceFarm

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

She may not care for them under these circumstances. Nothing lost by trying it out and see if she will. If she does not, breed her right back to the buck and keep her in a separate cage from him from now on. Keep track of your breedings and try to get her a nest box for the next litter. She will start pulling hair and lining the nest for her next one.

Its all a learning experience and it should go better next time. She will have bigger litters if you breed her right back after each litter. Some does just don't make good mothers. If you do all this and she still has them on the wire, doesn't make a nest or kills them...I would cull her. This time she wasn't in optimum conditions though. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. PrinceFarm

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    I went to the tractor supply and got some small syringes and some puppy milk, was all they had. I will watch her to see if she is taking care of them and check thier bellies in the morning to see if they are eating. If not, I guess I will hand raise them indoors. Any advice is greatly appreciated cause this is my first time breeding rabbits and I need all the help I can get. I just hope the momma doesnt eat them.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My sis had a doe reject hers but she just held her down and let them nurse off her anyway....several times a day. She was glad when it was over and the bunnies were big enough to eat. [​IMG]

6. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

She probably wont care for them especially if it is the first litter. Keep them away from her in a warm place. Take them to her about every 4 hrs and hold her while they nurse. They have to have her milk the 1st couple of days to survive. But be careful if she start kicking her feet. Her nails are like razors and could hurt you or the babies. It will probably make her mean too.
    Always give a rabbit an extra week before thinking she wont have babies. I had 1 that would go 4 days over every time. Especially if you were watching. Dont go into the cage the week before she is due.

7. PrinceFarm

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    Thank you for your help guys/girls. I took her and the babies inside and put them on a towel on the livingroom floor. I held her and pet her for about 10-15 min. then slowly tilted her on her side. the babies did try but it was hard for me to tell if they did get any milk, they would try for a minute or so then fall asleep and then try again a few minutes later. I did this for about 30 minutes. I think they both got some, just not sure if it was enouph. Momma must have been real tired cause she didn't fight at all and she is not at all tame. I read somewhere that rabbits only need to feed once a day for about five minutes but I am wondering if she will let them feed on her own later once they grow a bit. I guess rabbits are like chickens in that the first 72 hours are the most important. Now she is back outside in the cage and the babies are in a towel I shaped like a nest right next to me. I guess it is 75-80 degrees in here. I will go outside and get her again about 1 or 2 am and see if the babies want to eat.

[​IMG]

8. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck. I think you are on the right track. I wouldnt ever leave them with her.

9. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    good luck, they are so cute and tiny. I have never seen baby rabbits. [​IMG] Hope they get some milk from Mom.

10. backforty

backforty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    central WI
    You might want to try finding a breeder in your area and asking them if they have a doe who fosters. Especially if they arent getting enough. hand raising is extremely hard when theyre that young. I havent heard of anyone who was able to keep them alive longer than 2 weeks unfortunately. [​IMG] Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by