I need several more chickens in Omaha

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Chickenfortress, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Bellevue, actually. I managed to get 7 meat birds that were supposed to be leghorns. I just couldn't tell at 2 days old. Anyway, my poor half dozen rirs could use a bit of company. 6 birds will have a hard time keeping the coop warm this winter, even with 8 inch thick walls. I would prefer layers producing white eggs this time, and maybe a rooster of the same breed. If none are available soon, and someone else in the area is looking to acquire a few birds short of an order, we can go in together to make the 25.

Thanks!

2. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Chickenfortress

I am in Lincoln, but right now all I have is a bantam silver sebright roo.

I also have a very mean silkie of undertermined sex. lol

I hatched a couple blue orpingtons just the other day, if they are roo's I wont be able to keep them, but really really want to start a flock of several kinds. Am in town now but looking for an acreage, just everything seems to have been subdivided anymore with covenants, and if I am gonna have covenants, I figure why move to the country? [​IMG]

3. Chickenfortress

May 8, 2008
    I know I left this part out. I do intend to pay for the chickens. I can manage a bit of a drive, but my van is a pos. Too many years of relying on the company vehicle when I knew better.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:In case you DON"T get any more - I had only 8 standards and 4 bantams last year and they got through winter fine.... and the walls in our coop aren't 8 inches thick! [​IMG]

5. Chickenfortress

May 8, 2008
    My coop is 11x11 with a picture window and a crank out. Thats a lot of space to heat. You're likely right, but i'm the paranoid type about my poor sweeties.

6. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Chickenfortress,

Do you still have the meat birds, would be sure willing to trade for the silver sebright. Or pay you for a few, my hubby would LOVE some that he could process cuz he loves the feet (and so does a coworker that would pay him good money for them) and the necks, heads, etc.

My little silver sebright is young, and hasnt started crowing yet, about 5 to 6 weeks old I think, I would have to look to see exactly when he hatched. He needs a little taming down, lovely personality, very inquisitive but I havent spent as much time with him as I should so he is on the flighty side.

Anyhow, he is up for grabs. And like I said, if the blue/black orps are roo's, you could have potentially have a very pretty roo. Oh man, I just love those, they are gorgeous.

[​IMG] Got notice today from animal control while I was out running errands, need to get a permit by the 18th. Pain in the rear. I am one bird over outside, had all four out today...but of course, he might have peeped in the window and seen the chicks inside, which most of ARE going to a new home Wednesday.

So, now to be inspected and pay my $50. UGH! I should be ok, but how to tell them what I have, as I am not sure what I am KEEPING yet? If you go ahead and get permit here, you can have up to 20 chickens. One would think they would have sliding fee scale, the full $50 for 20 chickens... $40 for 15..etc. Too bad thats not the way it works. They make me pay that $50 and I might just have to keep a turkey or somethin....it would be legal, up to 2 are allowed with the permit as long as they have the square footage. [​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] Mine is 20x7, with two large windows, one broke out last year, so we cover it over winter and leave it open all summer.

8. Chickenfortress

May 8, 2008
    I have 2 of the meat birds left, and I am willing to make that trade. They weigh about 9-10 pounds, so they're beyond ready to process.

9. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Chicken

Do you also want the silkie that was the sebright's hatchmate? Of course I dont know its sex and it MAY settle down.

I know s/he is a stinker, but would probably be ok as long as he is not around babies.

Would love the 2 meat birds, if you need some $ for them let me know...

10. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    [​IMG] THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE WITH CHICKENS IN OMAHA!!!

HELLO!! i'm not sure if you have your chicken situation fixed yet, but i have some wonderful chickens, chicks and eggs if you are interested. i'd also be interested in going in with you on an order of chicks. let me know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by