1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Need Sexing And Breed Help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Herp Lover, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Herp Lover

Herp Lover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    El Mirage, Ca
    I was told that my chicks would all be hens but I am pretty sure that they are all roosters. Both of the White Leghorns, one of the Barred Rocks & the EE/ameraucana have been crowing but I am hoping that my RIRs are hens even though they look like roosters to me. This is them at about 3 months. These pictures were taken about 3 weeks ago so I can take new pictures if I need to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was told that this is a Ameraucana but it's colors don't seem to match up so is it a Easter Egger?

[​IMG]

When we found out that most of our chicks turned out to be roosters we bought four more but the feed store forgot what breed one of them was. So can anyone tell me what this chick is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is it now. It is a lot smaller then the ameraucana/EE that is the same age. I forgot how old these guys are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If these are old enough to be sexed could you help me out on that?

Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think you have a good chance that your Rhodies are both pullets, with the one with the smaller comb/wattle almost certainly. I don't see any saddles/hackles on that one...and don't think I see much of anything like that on the 2nd one (kind of hard to see in the photo). If they were 3 months at these photos, they should be crowing by now if they are roos and/or developing saddles and hackles. I think you'll be getting eggs soon if they are almost 4 months old now, definitely by 5 months. When their combs get nice and red, the eggs will be forthcoming soon.

The 2 new chicks look to me to be EE's because it looks like (in the photo) they have greenish/slate colored legs. They also look to have the typical female patterning, and smallish pale combs, so my guess is pullets too. (They look just like my EE pullet chick.)

The Ameraucana breed I've learned usually means Easter Egger in the feed store as the Ameraucana name is overused and misused especially by feed stores so what you are usually getting is an Ameraucana mutt...Ameraucana mix with just about anything else chicken-wise (ie Easter Egger).

My 2 cents.
    Lady of McCamley

3. The bird in the second pic is a boy... First one *might* be a girl.
    Chick 1 is a boy.
    Chick 2 might be a boy, but looks girly.
    So sorry... If you were in Alaska I'd give you a few of our girls :( or some hatching eggs.

4. Herp Lover

Apr 19, 2013
    El Mirage, Ca
    Thanks, my dad was quite disappointed why I told him that I thought that they were all roos. The feed store said that they bought them from Meyer Hatchery if that helps. The chick that was sold to me as a Ameraucana was really fluffy but the other one was not. All of the ones that the guy said were Ameraucanas were the same color but my mystery chick was the only one they had this color. It also does not look like any of the chicks on the hatchery's website but these are my first chickens so I don't know much about the breeds.

5. Herp Lover

Apr 19, 2013
    El Mirage, Ca
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by