I need some advice for my lonely Chuck ☹️

Sep 17, 2021
So last October I decided I would get 3 beautiful bantam silkies to keep me company in my garden, from day 1 it was brilliant! It kept me out in the garden so they could roam free whenever I was at home, cut to April and on of my poor chucks (Kim) had to take a trip to the vets and the news wasn’t great, the vet was quite sure it was mareks 😔 she told me there’s a very slim chance that it could be overcome but made sure I was aware this wasn’t common, so I took the chance and for 8 weeks i liquid fed her 3 times a day, unfortunately this wasn’t enough and the vet finally advised me to put her to sleep.
Strangely, the other 2 didn’t seem too fazed by their missing sister.
Moving to 4 weeks ago - same thing with chick number 2 (Kourtney) and unfortunately the same outcome today with her being put to sleep.
I’m now unsure what to do as I don’t want to add anymore chickens to my flock with the potential of them getting infected and having a poor end to their life!
I also don’t want to move Khloe to a new home for the same reason, I don’t want anyone else to go through this feeling.
But everywhere on the internet says don’t keep a lone chicken 😔

Any advice would be deeply appreciated
Many thanks in advance
Jay

For what it's worth: Years back I kept RIRs from my grandfather--the end of his flock. We got down to just one hen. (The rest were stolen. Somehow they missed her!) Henny lived for YEARS as our sole chicken and never seemed to mind that she was our only chook. She laid 3-4 eggs a week, always in the feeder in the same horse stall. LOL it was HER stall and nobody else used it. She hung with the mares and never seemed lonely. I think she was about 9 when she finally joined that big flock in the sky. Maybe your Khloe will do the same?

Rusty

Back
Top Bottom