1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need Some Advice From you parrot experts he's vomiting on me???

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by ra, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    I Have a 3 year old male eclectus parrot that I just got a few days ago. He is wanting a girlfriend I have discovered! He is regurgitating on me [​IMG]? He also screams like when I pick him up [​IMG] but not when my husband does? I wish I could tell him what a turn off the vomit and screaming is?Why does he only do it to me??? What can I do to stop it??He really likes me and is always wanting me to pick him up!Will he always do this? What should I do when he screams? I know the people we got him from said they would give him peanuts to keep him quiet, so basically they were rewarding that behavior. He doesn't yell all the time just when new people come over and when I hold him? Any advise is apreciated!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I'm sorry, I can't help you, but I just wanted to say he is gorgeous![​IMG] Really beautiful bird!

3. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Isn't vommiting part of a Parrot's mating ritual?

4. ra

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    Yes, but it is grose![​IMG]

5. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:yep!!!! [​IMG]

6. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Your bird is showing you that he loves you. As far as the screaming this should be ignored completely, sounds like the last owners reinforced the habit by rewarding the behavior with peanuts. I know ignoring the screams is extremely hard, but if you yell or even give the bird eye contact it only helps to reinforce the problem..I wouldn't even hold him if he screams. He could be going through a hormonal time right now which could explain the vomiting etc..Right now he is still transitioning and getting use to new people and situation, in time the behavior may settle on it's own. I was on this forum yesterday and came across this link http://forums.avianavenue.com/diy-drive/ I joined their forum yesterday and everyone is welcoming and informative you could try posting your question there for advice too. Good luck and congrats on finding a new feathered friend.

7. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

He thinks your his mate and is trying to feed you. I know its gross, but you should be honored.... that or get him a girl friend.

8. ra

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    It is great to know he likes me so much![​IMG] But it gets a little sticky when he spits up on my hand![​IMG]

9. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

had an Blue headed Pionus named Fred who would do that alllllll the time ..and in my HAIR....ewwwwwwww! ...it was loooooooooooove ...lol
    He ws also a screamer.
    you have to pretend they don't exist when they yell . "Drama" of any kind is a reward to a parrot.
    Good luck with your beautiful new baby!

10. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    the screaming is him calling to you, essentially hes calling his flock, and your his flock now. since its excessive screaming thats become a habit your only real choice is to ignore him completly when he screams...quite literally turn your back on him, dont talk to him even leave the room, as soon as hes quiet for a minute go to his cage and talk to him. screaming again repeat. hell soon learn that screaming just makes you leave.

as for the regurgitating...its gross but it is a huge bonding thing for parrots, they dont only regurtitate for their mates, older babies will often regurgitate for younger members of the flock, flock members will regurgitate for each other...
    its his way of sharing. i dont have much experience stopping the behaviour realy.

i typically just move them away form me the moment they start...
    i tell jack that he can keep his dinner to hiimself. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by