I need some advice or opinions or whatever.

PunkerTechnoRoo?ter

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Georgia
Here is my plan. After reading about Easter Eggers or EE for short I am going to order some chickens in February. But since I feel more knowledgeable about raising chickens since Im 3 for 3 with my Buff Orpingtons. Im going to increase my load to perhaps 10 to 15 more chickens. Addiction !!!!!!!
sickbyc.gif
But anyway aside from enough land and funds etc etc which i have. Im looking for a cost effective way of brooding them.

I walk into my computer room and look over at my EMPTY 55 gallon fish tank and my brain turns on the lightbulb for me. Its been very well cleaned before I moved from my old house and its been empty for almost a year. I mean the lights that I have with it should be more than enough to keep the peeps warm. But what Im worried about are the dimensions. Mine is a standard tank, 47.5 inches long, 12 inches wide and 19" high.

Is the width going to be a problem ? Of course Im not to have the peeps walking on the glass bottom, Probably cover the bottom and sides with butcher paper, then newspaper and then pine shavings. I can take a picture if any wishes for a visual.

Absolutely you can use your aquarium! I use a 10 gallon with quail chicks- works like a charm. I use the shelf liner stuff on the bottom the first few days, then switch to the shavings.

In one end I set up two bricks, upright, and the light rests on the top of them, thus heating the bricks and the area. The water and food are on the other end. I use the folding light cover as well, for the first week or two, and then switch to screen.

It is perfect while they are small.

Good luck!

Jayne

How many chicks 15 ? How long do you plan on having them in there ?
I wouldn't put newspaper in there as it's slippery and can cause spradle foot.
They will eat pine shavings at first so for the first week think about putting a fine layer of shavings and paper towel (the kind with texture or bumps) over the shavings. It will also keep them from getting shavings in the water and food.

Good luck with your chicks !
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I use a medium sized aquarium as a brooder, too. I use the rubber shelf liner for the first week, then move to a kennel with shavings. I use one of the clamp-on lamps, and just hang it over the side. You'll know if they're too cold or too hot... they'll huddle under the light if they're too cold, and they'll move out of the light if they're too hot. Then you just raise it up.
That should be a perfect brooder!
clap.gif

Last edited:
I have two aquariums that I use for brooders- one is 75 gallons and the other is 30. I think you will be just fine. I put pine shavings in the bottom and then for the first week I put paper towels over the top of the shavings.

I now have a commercial style brooder as well but still use the aquariums for the first week so I can see and reach everyone well if I have any problems. Good luck!

Any reason to think that I couldnt raise them for the full 8 weeks in the tank or am I underestimating the size of 15 easter eggs at week 8 ?
Im way better at underestimating than overestimating.

PunkërTeçhñöRøø§ter :

Any reason to think that I couldnt raise them for the full 8 weeks in the tank or am I underestimating the size of 15 easter eggs at week 8 ?
Im way better at underestimating than overestimating.

Uh, that is really really not very much space for that, IMO...

Last spring I had 20 chicks in a 4x4' cardboard box brooder and would not have cared to try keeping them in there for longer than a month...

Pat​

That will be too small as they get older. Here's a chart I saved on brooder space requirements.

Age of chicks Temp Sq Ft
1 week 92 - 95°F 1/4
2-3 weeks 85 - 90°F 1/2
3-5 weeks 80 - 85°F 3/4
5-8 weeks 70 - 80°F 1
8 weeks and up room 1 1/2

For 10 chicks at 5-8 weeks, you need about 10 sq. feet, which would be 5' x 2'.

Back
Top Bottom