1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need some advice! Please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hennyhandler, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have a LG incubator and this is my first attempt at hatching. I am in the process of stabilizing it and have been doing pretty well. The temp went up on its own to 90 over a couple of hours and the humidity was 37. I knew that I needed to get it higher so after putting up a plug and turning the knob just a little it went up to 93 but the humidity went down to 16.
    I had the ceiling fan on and so I turned that off thinking it might help. I am following the incubation cheet sheet and it says not to worry about the humidity until day 18 which is fine but I worry that 16 is too low. I know it might even out but...
    Also, should I wait even longer for the temp to go up or turn the knob again?

The incubation cheet sheet is a dry incubation so I don't want to add water to get the humidity up.

Any advice??

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    I run three LGs with fan and turners, and a fourth with just a fan as a hatcher. After you adjust the temp knob I' wait 3 or 4 hours for it to stablize at the new temp. When youu get it to 99.4 - 100 F, let it sit for 24 hours just to make sure it is stable at that temp. I've had two of mine that jumper to 104 after a day or so. I'd realy suggest waiting 2 days after you get the temp right just to make sure.
    Good Luck and Good Hatching! [​IMG]

3. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    One other little trick: cut a popsicle stock about 1 inch long drill a small hole in one end of the stickm 1/4 inch from one end. The hole should just allow the stick to slip on to the top of the temp adjusting knog on the LG incubator. then super glue the stick in place on the knob. that gives you a longer lever to turn the knob with and you can very precisly give the knob just the teny-tinyest little turn when needed. Don't make the stick much if any longer than 1 inch so that you can still turn it full circle if by chance you needed to do that.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by