I need some advice....that won't cost a lot of money ;)

deerlady11

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 14, 2012
Ok so I have two chickens that I brought home back in June. I don't have a lot of cash so I collected things around the farm to build a house for them (Pictured Below). I did swap the litter box out for an old desk drawer. They like the drawer much better for their nesting box. This has worked pretty nicely during the summer. At night I would go out and flip the yellow crate up and bungee cord it to the dog house. Their house is in a 9x9 kennel. So since it has gotten a little chilly I have put one bale of straw up next to the house and tried putting some wind blocks around the outside of the kennel. I also now put thin curtain down, then a piece of board, and then the yellow crate to lock them up at night to help keep some of their body heat in. I live in North-Central Indiana...so it get a little cold here in the winter.

I read somewhere on one of the post that their area has to be kept dry. Why is this? Most of the time as soon as they lay their eggs in the morning I let them out to free range for the remainder of the day. When the weather is yucky I keep them in their kennel but it does get wet.

The picture below is an older one. I have since but shade cloth around the bottom of the kennel and then netting around the bottom to prevent any hungry critters from reaching through the fence. I have also covered the top with fence and snow drift netting and sheets to provide shade.

I appreciate any advice you have to give. My girls are "Thelma and Louise". One is a Rhode Island Red and one is a Wine-dot. I know I probably spelled that wrong. Thanks again.

These pics were taken back in June....they have taken all the grass out.

Last edited:
I don't see any major issues with your current set up. Since there are only 2 hens, keeping their house small is good, as it will retain more heat. You don't want it wet because it is humidity that causes issues with frost bite. A hen in a 32 degree coop with high humidity is at far more risk of frostbite than if it is 22 degrees and dry.

The other thing you want to avoid is drafts. It sounds like you have that covered with the board between the entrance and the crate.

The hen in the picture below is not a Rhode Island Red. She looks more like a black sexlink or possibly a brown leghorn, but I can't see any Rhode Island Red in her. The Wyandotte looks like a pretty little silver-laced or penciled Wyandotte!

My profile picture is the same chicken. Are you able to tell from that picture what type of chicken she is? Thanks for letting me know.

The inside of their house is pretty dry. Does it matter that the outside can get a bit muddy?

Back
Top Bottom