I need some advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Desiree Salyer, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Desiree Salyer

Desiree Salyer Hatching

Jun 13, 2019
    I have a rooster that was attacked by either a bobcat or coyote. He only had bites on his back but no blood....and a lot of feathers ripped out. I cleaned him up and brought him into the house and am trying to make him comfortable. He is unable to lift his head and can only stand for a few minutes at a time. Since he can't lift his head, I try to keep him on his side. I have been giving him electrolytes and water in an eye dropper. I also diluted 5 aspirin in a gallon of water and give him that. I have been feeding him soft foods like yogurt and apple sauce and even made a paste out of his feed and tried to give that to him. I found some really helpful slings on this site and slung him in a pen in our guest bedroom last night and he did well. I put the food right next to his face and he went to town. This morning, however, he managed to get out of the sling and was all cockeyed in his pen and before I went to work, I put him on the floor of the pen because I was afraid while I'm gone, he might strangle himself. After I put him on the floor, he drooped his neck again and is kind of shaky. I have run out of ideas and don't know if I should keep this going. We are going on day 5 and I don't want him to suffer but I also love this guy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    frank 3.jpg

Sequel likes this.
  2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Sorry about your roo. Did you put an antiseptic ointment on those bites, like Neosporin? Maybe see if he'll eat a nutrient rich food like scrambled egg(no salt added). Also, see if he'll eat some oregano. That is supposed to help with their immune systems I believe.

EggWalrus and Desiree Salyer like this.
  3. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I'd stop the aspirin now, it thins blood and that could be slowing his healing.

Try adding a vitamin supplement to his diet, like poly-vi-sol (iron free); just a drop right in the mouth morning and night and see if that doesn't improve his muscular control.

I'm sorry for your boy! Hang in there! :hugs

4. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    You said he had 'bites, but no blood', does he have obvious wounds/punctures, the skin is/was broken? Or just feathers pulled out? What do his droppings look like, normal or not? He is at the very least probably very, very sore and it can take time. If he's eating and drinking then I would give him some more time to see if he slowly improves. I would use the sling for periods where you can supervise to make sure that he doesn't hurt himself, but it may help slowly to get him back on his feet. When I can't supervise I roll a bath towel or two into a roll and make a donut or put one on either side to help keep them more upright and comfortable. That way they really can't hurt themselves. You could roll a smaller one to put under his head/neck to help support it. Internal injuries are possible from being squeezed or shaken, and only time will tell. Go easy on the yogurt, a little goes a long way and too much can cause digestive upset. Try scrambled or chopped boiled egg to tempt him. Making a mash by mixing his feed with water may help, whatever consistency he seems to prefer. If you have poultry nutri drench give him some of that, it absorbs quickly and can give them a bit of a boost and help with appetite sometimes. Close up pictures of the wounds would be helpful.

5. Desiree Salyer

Desiree Salyer Hatching

Jun 13, 2019
    His poop looks green, like lime and it is chalky and his pee has a very strong odor. I posted some pics of the actually injury. These were taken the night of the attack. frank wound 1.jpg frank wound 1.jpg frank wound 2.jpg frank wound 3.jpg

Sequel and EggWalrus like this.
  6. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    His spine could be bruised, which may take some time to heal, but it will. As long as you are seeing improvement and he does not appear to be suffering, I would continue to work with him and be patient. You are getting good advice here. Good luck!

7. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Check him over to make sure that you have not missed any wounds, punctures can hide in feathers and not be easily found. How do the wounds look now? Any redness, swelling, any bad odor? Hopefully you flushed them out well initially. I would flush everything out really well, use a large oral syringe if you have one to flush punctures. A chlorhexadine solution (hibiclens, at any pharmacy or walmart) is good. Just plain water if that's all you have.
    Use veterycin spray or plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on any wounds. If there is any bad smell then that would indicate infection and you would need to do a round of antibiotics. Injectable penicillin is available at Tractor Supply and many feed stores in the refrigerator, or you can get amoxicillin (fish mox) on line to give orally if it becomes necessary. Many times it's not necessary, just covering the possibilities.
    Green poo's can be from not eating, or from infection. Sometimes patience is the hardest thing, giving them time to recover. It can be slow in some cases, and nothing will make it go faster. If he's not getting worse, or is slowly improving I would be inclined to give him more time. I have a soft spot for roo's, especially those that try to defend their flocks, so I tend to give them as much chance as I can. But that is entirely up to you and how much time and effort is acceptable to you. I have a roo now that I nearly gave up on twice, but he rallied enough each time that I held off. He's still with me and doing really well. They don't always make it, but they are incredibly resilient and recover from some really amazing stuff sometimes.

8. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    He actually looks better than what I'd envisioned. That's almost more an abrasion vs. full on holes.

I think you're doing great! I agree he's probably pretty banged up but short of swapping the aspirin (might also account for change in urine and poo) for vitamins I think you've got a great system in place!

Feel better soon, little guy! :hugs:highfive:

9. Desiree Salyer

Desiree Salyer Hatching

Jun 13, 2019
    Thank you so much for all the advice. I'm really not wanting to give up. He saved 10 out of my 15 hens. And he put up a really big fight so I want to make sure I do all I can for him.

10. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Good luck with him, keep us posted. If anything changes, there is always help on this forum. Fingers crossed that he recovers. :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: