I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wdeployedwife1, May 25, 2010.

1. wdeployedwife1

wdeployedwife1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Crossville, TN
    Hello everyone! This is the first time I have ever posted. I really love this forum. I could really use some advice. I ordered 12 chicks from Meyer Hatchery, and they arrived today. I ordered 4 Ameracaunas, 4 silkie bantams, and 4 polish. They are adorable! However, 2 of the silkies were DOA and another one died shortly after arrival. My issue is this: I really wanted more silkies, and they said they would replace the chicks that I had lost. I am really concerned about just ordering 3, since they didn't ship well this time. I suppose I could add more chicks (which I am leaning towards). I would just like to know what everyone else would do. I really appreciate any opinions! Thanks![​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    What would everyone here do? REALLY?! hahahaha.

a big fat....

GET MORE! For the sake of warmth and humanity! [​IMG] hehe

3. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    Maybe there is someone near you who has silky babes and you can pick them up? You could check out the breeders thread...

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Oh yes, just get more. [​IMG] I think someone called us enablers here once or twice. [​IMG]

5. wdeployedwife1

Dec 14, 2009
    Crossville, TN
    I hear ya Morgan!! LOL I WANT MORE!! I am just sooo afraid I will lose more. I was so disheartened when the little silkie was gasping for air. It broke my heart. I thought, "maybe I can save it." I couldn't, but I tried. I just don't want to go through it again. I guess that's a chance you take when you order birds.

Conservachick- I did think about that, but I figured if they wouldn't charge me shipping (I'm calling in the morning) that I would go ahead and just let them replace and add some more.

It's a terrible addiction, isn't it? I also have 4 white leghorns and 1 cuckoo maran. They are the reason I am addicted!

I really appreciate your advice!

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am sorry about the losses though [​IMG] they are never fun.. I have read a lot, and come to realize that with chicks, because they go through SO much in the first 2-3 days of life, tend to have a higher death rate. I got 4 chicks, when I only could have 2, just for the sake of a death or cockerel. When I get more, I will get 3-4 more then I want because you can always rehome them.

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I personally would order 25 more. I think thats a safe number to start with :)

8. wdeployedwife1

Dec 14, 2009
    Crossville, TN
    I'm thinking about getting 8 more, but I guess it depends on if I have to pay another huge shipping bill for a small order. I hope not.

9. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    you knew what you were gonna do the second you decided to ask these people on here about whether or not to do it...just do it already and have fun [​IMG]

10. wdeployedwife1

Dec 14, 2009
    Crossville, TN
    Yeah, you're right, but I still wanted advice. Like I said, just wanted some advice. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by