I need some advise about getting goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rls9109, Apr 15, 2012.

1. rls9109

rls9109 New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    I have been wanting to get a few goats for awhile now but have never had goats before, so I was wondering what kind of goat I should start out with and if i should have male/female or if that even matters. I want them for pets, I'm not going to sell the milk or use them for meat or anything like that. Also how much should I pay for a goat, I dont know how much one should cost.
    Thanks!

2. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Do you want milk for personal use, or do you just want pets, weed control? If you don't want any milk wethers and good for pets, and usually can be found pretty cheap. How big an area do you have? what is the cover like? As far as what you will have to pay, depends on what you are looking for, and where you live (wethers at auction here will usually bring 1.00 to 2.00 per lb) but most pet breeders will sell to good pet homes for less.

3. chikenzrok

chikenzrok Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    i like la manchas :) they are funny looking but are really nice

4. rls9109

rls9109 New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    We have around 250 and some odd acres. Most is fenced in, but I am wanting to put them in an area that is probably 3-4 acres with a barn for them to go inside when its cold and what not. Its mainly tall grass and some wild shrubs.

5. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

If you're just talking about getting some goats for brush / weed eating then any breed with do (even mixed). I'd go with wethers (fixed males).

Be sure to check out our sister site, Backyard Herds for tons of goat related information.

Here is some recommended reading on goats from BYH.

You're going to love goats! They are very addicting (kind of like chickens) [​IMG]

6. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Agree, wether will best suit you, are easy to come by, and usually the cheapest way to go. Check out the herd they are coming from pass if there are any runny noses, or lumps on them (abcesses). If wethers are going as pets, I generally wait a little while to castrate them (to allow the urethra to grow and maybe lessen the chance of blockage later). Just pick the breed that you like the looks of you have plenty of room, so size won't matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by