I need some answers on crowing ASAP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChobeeChickenMommy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    I got my silkie roo this past Sunday & since 6 am yesterday he has been crowing almost non-stop. It was sort of funny at first, like he was claiming territory or that he was head rooster but now he is still crowing & it's 1 in the afternoon... I love him to pieces already but he's starting to drive my DH crazy.

~Could he be doing this because it's still all so new?
    ~Could it be because we already has at least 1 (maybe 2 not sure yet) EE roo's and he is claiming dominance?
    ~Is it cause he's scared? He seems very happy, he comes to me when I bring him treats or sunflower seeds, he hasn't bowed or anything at me or my boys, & he runs around in the run during the day even giving himself dirt baths...

But now he is kinda mean to my 16-18 week EE's sometimes though if they get to close to Star & Sparkle, so could it be that he is trying to get his point across that he will protect the girls any way he can so he's crowing as a warning?

Thank you all in advance!

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Some of them are just annoying great loudmouths! He might quiet down once he settles in a bit, but he might not...

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It sounds like he's crowing because he's a rooster! Sorry, not trying to be funny, but if you currently have roosters that don't crow all day long, you're just lucky. This sounds normal for a rooster to me.

4. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Sounds like he is acting normal to me. [​IMG] If your neighbors are close I hope they don't mind.

5. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Sounds like a roo! My Black Copper Marans crows throughout the day, seems to come and go in blocks of crowing, but it is all day!

6. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X's 2. We have 4 roosters. They all crow. The dominant roo will crow all day for different reasons (like when I come home, when the dogs bark or when he just feels like hearing his voice echo across the neighbor's field) and the others will pipe up through out the day...not sure what gets them going.

Your Silkie roo might calm down a bit once he's settled but roosters are noisy...period.

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Roosters crow, some more than others. I have one who crows every morning for an hour straight (my head roo), then not a peep all day, and one who crows all day long for any little reason.

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:If I flush the loo in the middle of the night, that sets my two roos off! And once they start shouting, they don't shut up till night time [​IMG]

9. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Oh ok!! Thank you all! I am new to this & I didn't know they crowed all day or a lot... So I was a little worried that maybe he really wasn't happy, but I guess he is & that's why he's not been mean. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by