I need some big sisters for advice ;0)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by calicokat, May 12, 2010.

1. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Well, of course I would come to my chicken friends with chick stuff! (Guys, read along if you want, but you've been warned this is Chick stuff, not chicken stuff)

I'm 43 and starting to fall apart, I think [​IMG] I used to have great vision - "Super Hero Eyes" my dr. called them, but had to get glasses about 6 months ago. And she warned me that the close up vision would continue to go down hill with age. So much for threading needles in less that bright light!

But now I think I may be venturing into menapause. [​IMG] I believe I'm having "Night Sweats"? I wake up DRENCHED in the middle of the night, a film of dampness from shoulders to ankles, damp sheets under and over me, bleck! (at the risk of TMI - I sleep sans nightie, so no damp clothing [​IMG] ) I simply cannot be changing sheets in the middle of the night each night or 5 out of 7 nights! And summer is coming, we have no AC, is this going to get worse?

I was thinking that if I could find yardage of "Sham WOW" material, I could make sheets or night gowns out of that?

And at the risk of scaring me, tell me big sisters, what did you do to survivie the night sweats & what's in store around the next corner of life?

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I've heard that soy products (ie: soy milk, tofu and such) will help some. I'm just starting all of this too!

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I'm on the patch (HRT) and it's great!!!!!!!!! I had my menopause handed to me by the surgeon so it would have hit like a ton of bricks if I did nothing!

As for the eyes, I am 46 and was also losing my near sight and got one contact lense for close up and wear nothing in the other eye. It tricks your brain and now I don't need my granny glasses to read a menu or knit!

It took about 3 weeks to get used to but now I love it![​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I refuse to believe that menopause exists. Sadly, I cannot refuse to acknowledge that presbiopia does--and gets worse and worse. [​IMG]

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Check with your OBGYN and get a hormone level test done. It will tell if you are going into menopause or if there may be something else happening. If it is menopause you can choose to take HRT which does work well!

6. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Mine was also handed to me by a surgeon.

I was already premenopause though. I tried the HRT but it actually made my mood swings much worse. I quit them and my moods leveled out. I also tried the herbal and the mood swings took off again.

My eye sight went down the tubes too. I'm now near sighted and wear contacts and glasses.

I slept with a towel underneath me, easier to get a dry one instead of changing the sheets.

I have trouble losing weight, but no trouble putting it on.

7. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    you should patent a sham wow night gown!! Sorry I don't have any advise, Im sorry you are going through this.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Had Lasix surgery back in 1995 and the past year, my eyesight isnt as good as it used to be. Had a hard time doing my cross stitching and lace bobbings. Seeing close up things are bad too.

I am in perimenopause as well and hated the night sweats, which it comes and goes. Have to have the ceiling fan on HIGH to keep myself cool while hubby freezes under the covers. [​IMG]

9. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:I second this one. You can get soy pills in the vitamin section at Walmart. They are very cheap it takes a a week or so for you to notice the differences it sure helped me.
    piecemaker

10. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I understand I have always had to wear glasses but now reading is getting harder just bought a pair of glasses at walmart helped a lot, on the night sweats go to your doctor have your hormones checked but also get a complete physcial just in case the night sweats are from something else. we all go through this stuff at some point. I was on hormones for a while until my body straightened out again so far so good. but if the hot flashes come which they will just remember they are power surges. lol [​IMG] here is a [​IMG] for you and don't feel bad all women will go through this at some point. it sucks but its okay I would just put a towel or two under you that should help. and buy and window ac works great and helps lol i know I have one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by