I need some brainstorming help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hannahransom, Jan 20, 2012.

1. hannahransom

hannahransom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Lakeside, CA
    I currently have my nine chickens in a coop that is large enough for 30 or so chickens, but it's stationary! I started out my chicken journey wanting to have them in a tractor, but I realized I wanted more chickens than that tractor could hold. It seems to me if I want pastured chickens (which I do), that I have gotta go with a paddock system. I think I have everything figured out with the paddock making (I am going to have to put bird netting over it to make sure hawks can't get the chickens during the day), but now I need a coop idea! I am wanting my chickens to be rotated around an orchard, which is both on a slope and irregular in tree placement. I want a coop that is big enough for about 20 chickens but that is ok on a slope and not huge in terms of floor space. Ideally, the chickens won't be in the coop much except to sleep, lay, and eat a bit (mostly they would be eating bugs and stuff, though!). It does not need to be insulated or anything like that, since I have mild winters (san diego, ca). Oh, and I would like something semi-light, at least easy to move!

Ideas?!

2. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop

I'd go with a 4'x8' floor size and 4' tall.

if you want light weight you will have to juggle between safe pasture house vs light weight pasture house..... depends on your predators...

If you have something to pull it like a small tractor, atv or riding lawnmower just put the coop on 4"x6"x10' skids

So 4x8 floor with 4' walls, nest boxes on one of the 8' sides (milk crates, 5 gallon buckets, etc?)
    Roost bars on the other side and a pop door under the roost bars.
    Hinge the roof so you can open from the top for cleaning or fixing
    hinge the area behind the nest boxes so you can get eggs
    and put it all on skids to be able to move via tractor, atv, horse? :D

does that help at all? :)

3. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    The other option is a simple hoop house but that might not be safe from your predators.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Buy a small trailer and build a coop on it

5. hannahransom

Jan 15, 2012
    Lakeside, CA
    My predators are coyotes, hawks (I guess), I've seen foxes, I have skunks but I don't think they get full grown chickens, just babies. mainly I need coyote protection at night and hawk during the day.

Would a 4'x8' be enough space for 20 chickens? Maybe with some good vertical space? I was thinking about a hoop house, though I don't know if those can be made with less floor space and still house many chickens (though not all the time, of course).

Trailer sounds cool. but expensive and possibly too big? I haven't explored that idea yet.

6. hannahransom

Jan 15, 2012
    Lakeside, CA
    I'm wondering if building my own little trailer might work, and then putting a hoop house type thing on top.... Possibilities!

7. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop

4x8x4 will be enough sleeping/nest space but not enough if they stay locked in....
    make the coop on wheels if that helps.
    just be aware skunks and foxes will eat a full sized chicken if they can and will try.
    And coons will as well

8. hannahransom

Jan 15, 2012
    Lakeside, CA
    Yes, I forgot to mention racoons, definitely have those!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by