I need some breeding help!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Animals970, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Animals970

Animals970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    I'm getting into breeding Polish. So, I need some help about y'alls breeding setups. Any tips that you have, just post them here!!

I don't think I'm going to show anytime soon, but, I might. Please don't think I'm stupid, but I want to "Create" a "New" breed. I know that it will take years and years. But I want to somehow make a chicken that looks like the Polish, but has good egg laying qualities.

2. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Ummm, Polish ARE good egg layers, and if the particular line you got aren't you can selectively breed them to be good layers without creating a new breed. I suggest reading "The Call of Hen" by Walter Hogan, there's a free ebook version and can help you select for better layers.

As far as breeding set-ups, I am bigger scale than most, I run four breeding pens (big enough to hold a trio, so for large fowl usually 4'x8'), one large grow out pen (approx 12'x20' sometimes divided into 2 smaller ones) per breed, my breeders are housed in the growout pen when it's not breeding season. But basically the essentials are housing for non-breeding season, some way to separate and selectively breed from desired birds only, and somewhere to grow out the offspring until they are old enough to cull through and pick which ones to breed from.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  3. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    your not stupid heck i'm doing the same thing lol i'm working on an auto-sexing breed that dosen't require an almost crele color and if future generations are as good as my F1s then i'll be in good shape. the way i look at it is that someone had to be like us and say "hey i want a new breed with such and such qualities" and they go for it if people didn't do that then we wouldn't have all these amazing breeds we do now. now about your breeding set-up a chicken tractor works good for a trio or quad a friend of mine has a tractor with an elevated house with a four foot run coming off of it that they can move aroung their yard and their hens lay almost an egg a day but they also feed a good layer feed too. oh and BGmatt i like your quote on your comment under the breeds you raise does the SOP mean standard of perfection?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  4. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Yes it does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by