I need some brooder ideas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ridgefire, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    OK here's the deal, I have 2 cats and 2 dogs in the house. So having an open brooder wouldn't work.
    My have an old dog kennel with is all wire they said I could have. So it would work to keep the dogs from getting the chicks. But I would still be worried about a cat reaching through the wire and trying to pull a chick through.
    Putting the brooder in a separate room and closing the door wouldn't work either, we use wood heat so we have to leave doors open to get heat into the rooms. I live in northern Michigan so it will be still be too cold at night to keep them in the unheated barn.

Looking for suggestions

2. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    It doesn't matter really how warm the room is, as you will have a heat lamp on them to make the brooder the correct temp. (95* the first week, decreasing 5* a week.) Some people raise them in a barn--- but the brooder is nice and toasty!

As another option, I started the brooder sticky thread, and used our dog crate with cardboard in the front so the shavings wouldn't be all over my carpet. Maybe if you did that all the way around the outside (Tape it or hold it on with bungee cords) The babies would be safe from cat paws (Though my openings are so small a cat paw wouldn't even be able to fit in it!).

Just my thoughts....

3. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Hey yeah cardboard would work, but how high up the side do you think I should go?

4. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I am using right now a clear plastic storage bin. I have a wire top on it. I drilled so small holes up at the top of the bin and I zip tie one side of the wire onto the storage bin.

Normally, I use my laundry room sink but since it is in my garage and the nights have been cold I keep them inside in the plastic bin.

5. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I am using this time a plastic tote with a wire top also I normally use a covered cat litter box with a plastic door in front - i cut a whole in the back of the lid slid a light bulb holder in back- these work great for small numbers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by