1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need some coop help from the pros on this board!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by augustmomx2, Mar 3, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    So I have ordered 12 girls from Ideal that are due to arrive around March 12th. We are converting a playhouse/shed into the coop & constructing the run. The sliding glass door you see faces East and the window to the right faces North. We will be constructing the run to the left of the shed.

A few questions, firstly my dh wants to construct the run w/a chicken door on the left/South-side of the coop and not have the run encompass the large sliding door. My fear is that the chickens will run out the door when I enter to clean, feed, etc and if they do, they will be dead meat, as our dog will not be able to fight his urge to chase and kill. Do chickens see a door and go for it, or do they stick to their chicken door?

Secondly, he suggested turning the shed so the big door faces the South, but I was wanting to keep the large door facing East so the girls get the sunshine for a large portion of the day (the entire area is shaded due to trees). We live in Indiana, is this a good idea for heat/cool weather?

Thirdly, should I add additional ventilation or is what I have enough? and any other info would be greatly appreciated. (edited to add the 3rd ?)
    Let me apologize for the ginormous email and the equally large pics (new computer, & I'm not sure how to fix yet). TIA [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    Hi. Live in Hagerstown so, if you are in Central Indiana, you may not be far away. Hi Neighbor.
    I'm not much of an expert, but I have some experience with what has happened in my coop so far. I got 12 Barr Rocks from Ideal last November. I turned one of those 8 x 10 yard sheds into a coop. As far as the chickens runningout the the door - if you are at the door they won't run out it. they don't mine. But, if you leave it open, or a chicken gets between you and the door then they will go out of it. What I do when I clean my coop is to get them all out in the run, then shut their run pop out door so they can't get back in the coop. Then I can clean the coop without worrying about any of them getting out. I would think that, if that large window is facing the sun in the summer that it's going to get awful hot in the coop in the summer. I think they'd get plenty of light if the large window was facing the other way. What I've read on here is that ventilation is a good thing as long as it doesn't get drafty in the coop. That's my feedback from a new chicken person too.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I agree with your husband../door
    No, you should not have any trouble with the chickens "diving " for the door to get out.. this is not to say that they will not go through an open door.. you open the door just enough to let yourself in, and block any escape attempts with your legs.. You will become an expert at this maneuver in a short while..

extra ventilation can be obtained by opening the sliding door about an inch or two..

leave the dog in the house when going out to the coop or tie him up.. work with the dog on a leash to train him that chasing chickens is strictly forbidden.. you will be greatly rewarded for your effort with a super guardian for your chickens.. a dog being just in the vacinity of chickens is one of the best predator deterants there is..

I would not bother turning the coop around.. seems like a lot of work for minimum return.. but if it makes your hubby happy let him do it.. after all, you want him to build that fence, don't you?? what great difference does it make to you ??

if the window opens, nail a piece of chicken wire over it for ventilation.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I just thought of another reason to not fence in the big door.. It will make it much easier to pitch the poop when you clean out the coop.

5. augustmomx2

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Hi Neighbor! Thanks for the info [​IMG] I am new at this chicken thing and I'm not sure of their "usual" behavior when it comes to running out, I guess I think of cats and dogs who make a run for it as soon as they see an opening, but I'm sure it all depends on the animal itself. Thanks again!

6. augustmomx2

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Thanks so much for all your tips! I think I am reading waaaay too far into this coop thing and should stop obsessing over minor details [​IMG] I think I'll just leave it the way it is & not encompass the entrance, I never even thought about cleaning it & the ease of not have the door w/in the run. My number one concern w/this coop is to make sure it stays clean & well ventilated. Thanks again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by