I need some direction in clipping wings please.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by QuackerJackFarms, Jul 29, 2011.

1. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Hey guys. I have never done this before but am considering clipping the wings of my "mallards" so I can let them free range again. I have kept them in the run since they flew over my house and they are sooooo mad at me. But I can't risk them flying off again. They only have enough "umph" to get out of my yard and then they don't know what to do after that. So it's not like they can fly away technically, but just enough to get them in trouble.

I need details, pretend it's "wing clipping for dummies". Because I literally don't know what I'm doing.
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks so much!

4. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    And this doesn't hurt them right? Should I expect any blood?

5. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    No clipping a wing is like clipping your finger nails you shouldnÂ’t get any blood unless you cut too much off.

6. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Ok you guys! I did it. 2 out of 3 anyway. Mr. Drake outsmarted me and "flew the coop" before I could catch him. It's too hot to be chasing him around getting him worked up. But I managed to clip both the girls. It was super easy. I think Edward will stay put since the girls are the instigators of the flying off thing.

But they are now free ranging and floating in the pool. Very much happy again.

Also, I only clipped about 1-2 inches off 3 feathers, on one wing. Didn't do both. I didn't want to overdo it. Do you think this is enough? They haven't tried to take off yet so I haven't seen their wings in action.

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    We clip all the flight feathers on one wing - on my muscovies we clipped about 4 inches off. They are young birds (16 weeks) but the other day as I was leaving for work I saw one of the females fly out of their "pen" at about 6-7 feet off the ground and she went a good 100 feet. All I could think all day at work was "Please still be in the fenced part of the yard when I get home" She was just flying to get to her new boyfriend so she stayed in the yard with him all day. (His wings have been clipped)

Don't forget you will have to clip again after every molt.

8. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Bottoms Up!
    [​IMG]

Yes, my husband bought them a kiddie pool. I will definantly remember to clip every year. I will also be watching to see if I need to do a little more clipping. They are too happy in their pool right now to care about flying away. I might need to do more though after reading about your muscovie. I'll be watching them closely.

Thanks for the help!

9. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Just remember not to clip there wings while the feathers are still growing.. If you cut a blood feather, they could bleed to death.. If you do end up cutting a blood feather, you will need to PULL that feather completely out.. I clip mine after they are done molting.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  10. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Thanks. I will remember that for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by