I need some duck help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jzervas92, Aug 1, 2014.

1. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    So I don't know how else to put this but I don't own any ducks just chickens, and I go down to the coop last night to lock up and theres a duck in my coop! He decided that he is happy here and doesn't want to leave. So I went out today and bought him a kiddie pool, and he loveeeeeeeeees it! None of my neighbors own ducks and I have no idea where this guy came from. Should he be eating the chicken layer feed? Should he even be mixed with my chickens? Does anyone know what breed he is? Is it even a boy? I know nothing about ducks any help will be appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    He is a he. My ducks eat layer feed.I would watch him with your chicken a duck can kill a chicken if he mates with her.

3. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Ok great thank you,I thought he was a boy too. If I don't find the owner I might make a separate pen and add some lady friends for him. I have a rooster already with my chickens and he doesn't seem to mind the newest addition. The duck also doesn't really like it when the hens come near him. Do you think with the rooster he's still going to try to mate with them?

4. DUCKOBSESSED

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    My drakes dont but i have heard bad stories.

5. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    It's good to know! I let the chickens free range today, and I left the gate opened to give him the choice of staying or leaving. He hung out by his pool all day while the chickens roamed around. You wouldn't happen to know what breed he is? He's a very large bird.

6. DUCKOBSESSED

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    This is my Rouen Drake. He is molting but i think yours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    I wish I had a duck appear at my house. lol He could have been a dump, people often dump unwanted ducks at people houses who they think will care for them. :/

8. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    I say he is a Rouen to. :) with pretty nice color! some can be pretty dark, but I like his color!

9. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    What a beautiful drake! I agree with everyone else, he looks like a Rouen. My aunt has a Rouen drake who stays with her hens and they're fine together, he even runs off the neighbors pesky cats! Layer feed would probably be okay but I would pick up some cracked corn for him :)

10. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Ok great, thank you for your help! I'll have to do some research on the breed. It's definitely a great story to tell! I always new one day I would have ducks, but I didn't know that day would come so quickly! It would be very sad if someone dumped him, but he's going to have a nice life now! It's so weird how quite he is, he occasionally gives light quaking sounds. Maybe I'm just used to my noisy chickens, but I'm so glad he found me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by