I need some encouragement (regarding weightloss)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chickerdoodle13, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been trying to lose weight for about 6 months now and I'm beginning to lose hope.

I've been a type 1 diabetic since I was 4 1/2 and I know the insulin has contributed to gaining so much weight over the years. It also makes it nearly impossible to lose weight. Anyways, my mom and I joined a gym over the summer and we went about three times a week, sometimes four. When I got back to school, I've tried to be good about going to the gym on a regular basis, but sometimes my heavy class schedule and work load prevent me from going. Some weeks I get there monday, wednesday, and friday, but other weeks I may not have a chance to go at all (like next week). Even with this exercise, I've only been able to lose a pound or so, and as soon as I have to stop exercising, I gain it back. Typically in the gym I devote a 1/2 hour to weights and a 1/2 hour to cardio. I try to mix up the exercises I do.

Eating right is not as easy for me. I'm ALWAYS hungry. I can eat a HUGE meal and my brain will still tell me I'm hungry even though I'm not. This has always been difficult to battle and a lot of times I just don't feel like a normal person because my mind is always on food. The insulin is a huge culprit and I was put on a hormone (Symlin) that was supposed to help cut back hunger and let me lose weight. It does help with hunger, but has not helped with weight.

I'm at my wit's end. I've been so frustrated and I feel like I will never be able to lose weight. I would like to lose 50 pounds, but even when I set my goals to 5 or 10 pounds at a time, I can't do that. I've talked to my doctors and they try different things, but it never works. I get regular bloodwork done, so any thyroid or other detectable issues have been ruled out.

I'm just about ready to through in the towel and resort to the belief that I will NEVER be able to lose the weight. Gah! I guess I just need some encouraging words right now. I've had a very tough week.

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    No Chickendoodle.......... you can do this, you have to re-think your eating patterns...

Try and eat your meals off a smaller plate this = smaller portions ..... eat slowly and chew everything as much as possible... this will help trust me.

Drink NO soda at all.......... only water..........

Remember that if you like a glass of wine, each glass has 100 calories...

If you are hungry in between meals ... eat a piece of fruit or have a salad.....

Eat brown wholegrain bread only....

Make sure your bowels are functioning properly (but did you know that the average person carries around 10-15lbs of poop in their bowels that should not be there....)(aim at going the loo three times a day - that is actually healthy, and not once a day which is not) ......

Rather than going the gym... power walk as much as possible... walking everyday will help you to lose weight rather than trying to sweat it off in a gym and you will not feel as tired - plus you are out in the fresh air.....aim to walk a litle further each day - even if it is only for five minutes longer than the previous day.

Weight should be lost at 2lb steadily per week.... you will lose weight quickly in the first two weeks, but you are usually only losing excess water etc etc....

Eat breakfast - that is important and will keep you blood sugar up ...

SO Breakfast - Eat like a King..... have plenty of cereal with wholegrains in it... toast with honey and then a piece of fruit....glass of warm water with lemon in... (good for the liver)
    Lunch Eat like a Prince.... chicken salad etc etc etc
    Dinner eat like a pauper...... Fish and a salad ......

Remember grill all meat do not fry.....use olive oil for cooking - its good for you....

Make sure you also take a multivitamin and mineral tablet.... followed by a Vit B Complex tablet.... everyday.......

You can do this and I want to heer about your progress.....

Now get those trainers on and lets walk.............

3. ems_chick

ems_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Morganton, GA
    1. get a pump!!! it will make a world of difference, i have a minimed medtronic 522
    2. drink water, no diet soda
    3 .walks, lots of walks ( take a walk instead of a shot if its not too high)
    4. cut out super processed and white food (besides milk and cauliflower)
    5. eat fruits or veggies about every 2 hours throughout the day, keeps you full
    6. high fiber, low fat
    7. reduce stress! [​IMG]

i am type 1 as well, this is how i am doing it [​IMG] it's not impossible, just alot of work. i have some good days and some bad days, dont give up! [​IMG]

4. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    All the advice that you have been given is excellent. I would add that once you cut out the processed foods, you won't be as hungry. Certain foods actually make me hungrier.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Set a goal and use exercise to reach that goal. I started walking back in June and just recently I walked my first half marathon.

Sign up to walk a 5k or 10k and set up a training plan (there are lots of plans online so it's not like you need to know how to train yourself already).

6. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    eating a huge meal like that is bad. It is triggering hunger.

You have to eat 6 small meals a day to boost your metabolism. MADATORY
    Your gonna feel like your always eating and that is good. Just 1/2 portions

NO SODA, that is horrible for you! SUGAR

Limit bad carbs like bread, pasta, rice and you know you shouldn't be eating that anyway since they break down into sugar.

UP your good carbs like veggies and fruit. YOUR ONLY SNACKS~

Drink 8 glasses of water a day. alot of times when you think your hungry, you not! Your thirsty. I always added lemons to my water . It is a great cleanser~

Your exercise isn't your problem. I bet when it is all said and done you are OD-ing on SUGARS!!!!!!!!!!There are so many hidden ones you don't realize.

I was a membership counsler at LA Fitness for years. I always suggest a nutrional plan more so than a personal trainer. What you put in your body will really determin how your body reacts to exercise.

Won't hurt also to have your Thyroid checked as well. that was my problem.

STAY WITH IT! YOU CAN DO IT! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!

7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    You can do it! I know you can. Don't give up.

The best advice I have for you mirrors advice you've already been given here. Eat a big breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day.

Cut the soda! That's what I do when I want to drop some weight. I'm lucky in that I normally drink caffeine free soda anyway. So if your soda of choice contains caffeine, you'll have to wean yourself off of it slowly. Caffeine withdrawal packs a dreadful headache. Drink water. Lots of water. Convince yourself that you LOVE water. Mmm, Mmm, nothing like a tall cool glass of water! [​IMG]

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for all of the advice guys! Some of you have great ideas.

EMS-chick,

I'm actually on the same pump as you! I went on it because the shots were just not working for me. I love the pump so much, but I've only been on it about a year, so I'm still working on getting blood sugars down. They aren't terrible, but are a bit higher than I'd like.

I usually don't drink soda at all. I keep a bottle of diet, caffeine free birch beer around for those times when I absolutely MUST have it, but for about three years now I have been hardly drinking it at all. Usually my drinks are water with some iced tea flavoring (all sugar free) or diet cranberry juice (when it is on sale). Some days I'm so busy I forget to drink as much as I should.

My meals aren't really that huge. On the Symlin, I get full pretty fast. My biggest problem is probably the snacks. I try to eat plain almonds, some dried fruit trail mix, sometimes pretzels, but sometimes I just get a craving for something that isn't healthy. I also rarely eat bread, if at all and I make whole grain everything. I don't eat white rice, its usually wild or brown. I also try to eat sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. I make a lot of homemade soups with lots of veggies, and I eat ground beef and chicken. I often make chili with herbs from the garden and lots of beans. I also like to make tacos using low fat, low carb whole grain tortillas. I stuff them with veggies. Lunch is usually soup and breakfast is either a bowl of cereal, an english muffin, boiled eggs, oatmeal, etc. and some fruit and a drink like tomato juice or milk. I really love my fruits and veggies!

Unfortunately eating healthy at college is a bit more difficult, but I really do try hard. I guess that's why I'm so frustrated, because I try so hard and don't see results. As a diabetic, my mind works a bit differently and even when I try to satisfy myself, I'm still hungry. Of course, being a type one diabetic for just about my whole life has a tendency to cause a food obsession, just because you are always having to calculate this and portion that. People often don't realize that I can't just eat. I would give everything to just pick something up and eat it. Instead, I have to calculate how many carbs, how much fat, protein, etc., how much insulin, give myself insulin, and often a separate shot of symlin and then sometimes wait 10 or 15 minutes before actually eating. I have to do this before every meal, and every snack, even if I just decide I want a carrot or an apple. Its definitely nice to hear from another type 1 diabetic though!

Thanks to those of you who PMed me. I will definitely check out those links and get back to you!

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Exercise can be pretty useless for weight loss...
    http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

As for the constant hunger...well you already know that is the insulin. What insulin does is pushes nutrients in to your fat cells instead of allowing them to circulate freely throughout the body. Your brain, not seeing the free floating nutrients, sends off the hunger signal AGAIN even if you just ate.

You need to avoid foods that trigger the need for insulin. In other words, carbohydrates, like pretzels, breakfast cereal, english muffins, fruit and oatmeal, are NOT your friends. Fats, as in essential fatty acids, which you seem to be avoiding, are something your body NEEDS (healthy natural fats that is. Not transfats or highly processed vegetable oils.) And I don't care how low carb a whole grain tortilla claims to be, if your insulin and blood sugar regulation are off, grains are a big problem. The ones I have seen still had about 50g/carb for every 2 tortillas (unless they were really small). That is the equivalent of 1/4 cup of pure sugar. The ones I saw in the store were also loaded with soy, which can screw up your thyroid.

I STRONGLY recommend you look in to the works of Dr. Richard Bernstein. He is a type 1 diabetic himself. Check out his bio....
    http://diabetes-book.com/book/mylife.shtml

An interview he did a while back...
    http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/...rnstein-on-the-low-carb-diabetes-cure-ep-254/

Here is also a study done in Canada by a Doctor who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes...
    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Diet+recipe+good+health+Doctor/2082526/story.html

Your thinking about diet, nutrition and exercise is about 180ยบ out of kilter. You have been trying for 6 months and you are not any skinnier, your blood sugars are still high and you are frustrated as all get out. PLEASE do yourself a favor and look in to Dr. Bernstein or the Dr. Wortman study.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  10. :D chicken

:D chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Hey you know yesterday in my health class i was discussing this with my teacher and i was looking this thing up on the internet (i ove the internet im on my computer like 6 hours per day teehee! [​IMG])

So here is the healthy way to lose weight:

Things to avoid:

Diet pills- can be addictive and are generally nasty

Protein shakes- are icky and can have harmful ingredients

Calorie counting- is tedious and dumb

Diets on tv- look great but are really stupid

Things that promise to lose weight fast

Giving up- this is the worst and will only make u feel bad and want to eat more

The science of losing weight is to take in less calories than you burn

However this is often time consuming and makes you feel weird!

This is one thing you can do:
    Go to and http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx and enter your info it will probably ask if you want to gradually lose weight then do what it says it has recipes for healthy interesting food most anybody would want to eat! That IMO is pretty dang cool! I got one just to try for a week it alreadsy has all the calories and stuff factored in to the meals and if you dont like something take it out like raisins in oatmeal? eat as much grapes as it says raisins instead!

Also I would ask your doctor about being a diabetic factors into this beacause IDK anything about this and dieting a certain this way may not help but if he/she says its okay i would try it it might help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by