I need some encouragement

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cynth, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    Ok, we have our 30 chicks still in the house mainly because 1. We don't have the coop built yet 2. We live in Maine an it is too cold to just put them out there, and 3, today we found out we need a permit to build a shed. [​IMG] WHAT????? We live in a vey very rural area with many acres of land. This is frusterating. I am hoping a permit 1. doesn't cost much, and 2. Is quick to get.
    So does anyone have chicken house pets? [​IMG] We do have a lot of spiders in the house. I am getting tired of the chickens flying off their box and not being able to get back in. [​IMG] Man can these birds hoop and hollar when distressed. haha.

2. birdygirl123

birdygirl123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Texas
    Do you need to have a permit if its on a skid, and not in the ground?

3. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    Is there a size that the shed has to be before a permit is required? Maybe you could go just under the radar...just a bit smaller?

4. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Where we live, it is not considered a structure if it is under 6' tall. No "structure" no permit [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I've only had a couple of chicks in the house before--cant imagine more than that! And after the couple I had inside, never again...thank goodness I'm in sunny florida.

6. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    I don't know and I dont know. [​IMG] I will find out tomorrow when I call the city. ughhhh.

7. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    You should not need a permit for an accessory building which a chicken coop is. A coop is not a shed.

8. birdygirl123

birdygirl123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Texas
    Think positive.... I'm sure you will be fine as long as the legs arnt "in the ground".. [​IMG]

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Do you need a permit for dog houses and chain link kennels? [​IMG]

10. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We are 'suppose' to have permits too, but I just kinda bypass those things unless it is something REALLY BIG and our planned coop is not.

Good luck with what ever you have to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by