I need some FAST advice on chickens...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jdavidphero, Feb 17, 2012.

1. jdavidphero

jdavidphero Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    A friend that got me interested in chickens is going to give me 5 Rode Island Reds in the morning. I am unsure if I should take a few of her young hens (They are her pets and she now has too many) or if I should take some chicks? She said she is fine with either one. Like I said her chickens are soo spoiled but I was unsure becauser it seems like most people on here always are starting with chicks. Are they more attached if you raise them from chicks??? She was suggesting I take some hens and a rooster and then i can have chicks later but have eggs now also. Please advice, thanks

david

2. barbgoesgreen

barbgoesgreen New Egg

Dec 28, 2008
    If you don't already chickens then it is fine to take them. Don't worry about you having to spoil them...they will get used to you! Do you have a house ready for them?

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I started off with 17 week old pullets - and that worked well for me. At least with the older ones, you can be sure of their sex - whereas with chicks, it's usually a gamble.

4. barbgoesgreen

barbgoesgreen New Egg

Dec 28, 2008
    Another thing to consider is how quick you want eggs...new chicks don't mature enough for about four months, her original flock must already be laying but their laying time is now less

5. jdavidphero

Feb 15, 2012
    thanks I will go with the young hens then. i pray I do not flood this site with questions on day 1!! Yes I have been builing a coup for three months thanks to this site. i am really excited![​IMG]

6. barbgoesgreen

barbgoesgreen New Egg

Dec 28, 2008
    Oh good for you, looks great! You will have a blast! make sure you have enough daylight, I cant tell if you have electricity or not..

7. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Take the hens as long as you know they are young. You don't want to end up with someone's spent hens. I wouldn't take a rooster.

8. jdavidphero

Feb 15, 2012
    Why no on the rooster?

9. jdavidphero

Feb 15, 2012
    What was the question about daylight? Do you mean time if year? Here is another pic? And can someone tell me y NO ROOSTER?

10. jdavidphero

Feb 15, 2012
    Here is another pic[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by