I need some fertile eggs "Maine" Please

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by pw_quiltworks, Jan 10, 2009.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Hi,
    I need some eggs for my new incubator. I will incubate them and give you all but 1 roo if one hatches. I have red star chickens and need a roo. I am limited to the amount of chickens I can have. I don't want to make a profit from this. I just really want to try my incubator. I plan in the future to get some black copper marans. I don't care what kind as long as the roo can work with my red star hens. I will need fertile eggs at some point when these stop laying. They have not started to lay yet. Soon. I prefer someone who lives near by so I can pick them up or meet somewhere. I can even deliver them once they hatch. No problem.
    Priscilla

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i have some friends in ellsworth,, ill give em a call and see if they still have any,, im sure if i ask,, you could just go over and get them,, they might charge ya 3 bucks for a dozen eggs.. they used to have some rirs.

3. kris41

kris41 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    I would be willing to help you out. The only problem is that I am 45 min south of Portland. If you can't find anyone else, let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Kristie

4. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:That would be great. I am more than willing to give them what the going price is. No problem. Let me know.
    Priscilla

5. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hey!
    My dad has some Red Stars and a RIR rooster(along with Buff Orps and a splash Cochin rooster) Our Red Stars lay fertile eggs all the time. and we are in Maine. If you wanted to hatch some of our eggs, you would get RIRXRed Star chicks. [​IMG] I could ask my dad if you are interested?
    Also, if you go to an online hatchery, like Ideal.com or McMurrayHatchery.com, you can buy some chicks. choose the breed, gender, and how many chicks you want. [​IMG] And the prices for Red Stars are like $1-$2, which is a really good deal I think. [​IMG] The hatchery will ship the chicks to you. Also, you can buy hatching eggs there, too! And they will ship them to you. Just choose the amount and breed.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  6. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I did manage to get some fertile eggs. Hopefully the incubator is do it's job. I should have them Saturday. Thanks for the replies.
    Priscilla

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well, if you just want a roo, I have a very nice off color ameraucana roo. He is almost 6 months old and very pretty. If bred to your birds, the resulting chicks would lay green eggs [​IMG] . I am a few miles north of Portland....

8. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Ok i will bite. Why would they be green? I know 0 about chickens.
    Priscilla

9. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Ameraucanas lay a blue-green colored egg. When you cross an Ameraucana with a standard chicken you will get mixed hens that lay assorted green-colored eggs. I love the rainbow of eggs I get from my hens: white, tinted, blue, green, brown, and dark brown. It makes having eggs more fun [​IMG]

10. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:That's cool. I had no idea. I might have to try that. There is a lot to learn about chickens. I thought an egg was an egg. I did not even know dark brown eggs existed until I saw them on ebay. Thanks for explaining the rainbow eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by