1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need some help/answers on antibiotics and illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmlew99, Dec 22, 2014.

1. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I posted about this a few days ago, and I'm still unsure (although the answers were very helpful!). I'd really like some more answers, and instructions to ease my stress level a little bit. This is my first experience with illness ever, and I haven't even had chickens for a year yet. Just to be clear, culling her is not an option in my mind at this moment in time.

So here's the deal...
    On Wednesday I noticed my 30ish week old Buff Brahma hen had bubbly eyes, and a sneeze. That night I heard her breathing was a bit congested. I separated her from my three other chickens (two other younger hens and a rooster) and brought her inside.

Every night since then I have kept her in a small dog crate in my basement away from the freezing Massachusetts weather. Every morning, however, I bring her outside in a roofed fenced in area where she can run around outside.

Thursday night I started her on Duramycin 10. After seeing this on a website (HenCam?) I put 1/4 tsp of the powder in a quart of water and made sure she drank it whenever I saw her. So its definitely getting in her system. I've made sure that one waterer is refreshed at night and the other in the morning (both have the antibiotics) so its definitely getting changed every 24 hours.

Since Friday she has very very gradually become less congested. But its not really happening as fast as I think it ought to. I also haven't gotten any eggs from her since Wednesday, but I'm pretty sure she's never been much of a layer.

Her symptoms and behaviors at this moment include:
    Watery eyes (a little less bubbly than Wednesday), congestion and sneezing especially when excited/stressed, normal eating, normal drinking, no egg laying so far

My Questions:
    • Am I dosing her correctly? Should it be a higher concentration?
    • Is this antibiotic working as fast as it should?
    • I've given her yogurt, is this bad? Should I avoid giving her yogurt and scrambled eggs?
    • If she doesn't heal at the end of the seven day period (today was day 4) what do I do? Do I try and find a different antibiotic? Or just wait it out without the help of antibiotics? Should I try an find a veterinarian?
    • Would keeping her all cooped up in the small dog crate in the basement during the day be better than letting her outside to run around in the cold?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The problem with antibiotics that are mixed in water, including duramycin soluable powder, is that sick birds rarely drink the treated water and if they do, it's usually not enough to be effective. Also, birds drink less water in cooler/colder temperatures. Additionally, duramycin has a 21 day withdrawal period after the last day of use.
    You would be better off using tylan 50 injectable which is more potent than duramycin and you should see improvement in a few days. Here's a link for you regarding tylan 50 injectable:
    http://ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tylan

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Duramycin 10 dosage is 1 tablespoonful (3 teaspoonsful) per gallon for the maximum 800mg dosage. That would be 3/4 of a tsp. per quart, but you are probably okay with a little more since chickens don't drink as much in cold weather. It can be given for 7-14 days, but I would switch to something better if you don't see improvement after several days. Tylan 50 given either as an injection for 3 days, or orally for 5 days, or Tylan Soluble Powder used in the water for 5 days would be a good drug to switch to if needed. Her symptoms sound similar to MG, but I would read some about infectious bronchitis, ILT, or coryza symptoms here in this link:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

Many people use plain unsweetened yogurt as a probiotic, but a probiotic powder in the water (such as Probios or Gro2Max) or a small amount of buttermilk may work better. Probiotics are very helpful to restore the beneficial gut bacteria after antibiotic usage, but they also are good to use twice a week just to help with intestinal immunity in the flock. Scrambled eggs are very good to give to encourage a sick bird to eat, and increases protein in the diet.

1 person likes this.
  4. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Thank you both for your responses. @dawg53 , the reason I didn't go with the injectable is because I'm absolutely terrified I'd mess up and severely damage her (maybe thats ridiculous- I admit, I'm rather paranoid). But if this antibiotic continues to have unimpressive results, I'll look more into it. Do you have any advice on how one would inject it? I just watched a few videos about it, but it sounds like you have a lot of experience!

@Eggcessive Thanks for the clear and concise response! It sounds like I'm just going to wait until we finish up this round of duramycin 10 and then look at the Tylan 50 Oral or injectable. I'll look into the MG. I hate it when my birds get sick :,(. I'm about to head down with some more scrambled eggs right now!

I have a couple more questions now:
    • What would the Tylan 50 look like in the store? If I wanted to try giving her the antibiotic orally (like with a syringe), would it be the same bottle/formula as the injectable stuff? Or is it different? Is the water-soluble formula different as well? (I'm sorry if this sounds idiotic, I have no clue what I'm doing)

• If this is a virus, is it pointless to keep giving her antibiotics? Will it ever go away on its own?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 injectable can be given with a 22 gauge needle and 3 cc syringe, inserted 1/4 inch straight into the thickest part of the breast muscle. Dosage can vary with the weight of the bird. 1/4 cc/ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for standard chicken up to 5 lb, and 1 ml for over 5 lb. You must use a needle and syringe to withdraw the Tylan, and if giving it orally, remove the needle. Most drug books list dosage as 5 mg per pound of weight. Tylan 50 is 50mg per ml, so 5 mg is 0.1 or 1/10th of an ml. Tylan 200 is 200mg per ml, and is probably more suited to large fowl such as turkeys or peafowl. With the eye bubbles it may not be just a virus. Here is a link for the Tylan 50: http://www.kvsupply.com/tylan-50-in...3&cadevice=c&gclid=CLnL4rmE28ICFfPm7AoduloAjQ

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  6. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Thank you! Is it at all possible that this could be a fungal infection? It's so strange that my other chickens aren't showing any symptoms- I mean I isolated here but they are still exposed to any droppings she left behind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by