I need some help by the time it gets dark out. PLEASE

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ginbart, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I have 2 Buff Orpingtons. I'm only keeping one but I want to keep the best one according to the breed. IYO which one is the best.

This is the two of them together. The bigger one is in the back.
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your help.

Pics are below.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I like the bigger one, close ups would be nice to see to
    who acts better?

3. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    I like the coloring and feathering on the smaller one better! Comb looks great too

4. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    I prefer the smaller one, he seems to have a better more rounded chest, better tail set and short back. JMO. [​IMG]

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    They have very different backs but otherwise look very similar. I would check the SOP for the breed and see what it says about their backs.

6. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    Does either one have a better temperment? They both look beautiful. I had one who was so sweet and gentle. He became the keeper. If you are planning on showing, that might also be something to look at. I like how the bigger looks by the way he is standing. He is handsomer and he looks like he is in charge.

7. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Yes the smaller one has the better temperment. I was trying to move them one time and the big one bit me.

This is the bigger one.
    [​IMG]

Smaller one.
    [​IMG]

I think I like the smaller one because of his color. I have moved them but I can move them back.

8. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    I personally then would go with the smaller one if his temperment is nicer. I was attacked by the better looking Rhode Island Red rooster almost every time I went down to water and feed the chickens. He saw me as another rooster and wanted to protect his flock. The smaller rooster would come and sit on my lap and eat out of my hand. The RIR became dinner and the nicer one became a breeder for a friend's flock. The rooster I have now is an Ameraucana and he is very sweet. Good luck deciding!

9. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thanks everyone, I think I will go with the smaller one.

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I agree!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by