i need some help! my baby buttons all died!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by xchairity_casex, Jul 18, 2011.

1. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    a few days ago i hatched out 18 buttons my third hatch of buttons they were all doing very well very active and eating and drinking great but yesterday we had a heat wave and the temps reached 102 the chicks looked as though they had just hatched all wet and very weak and wobbly falling over and unable to eat or drink every half hour i tried dipping there beaks into food and water well this morning they all died but one who is not doing very well either.
    i have used the same 10 gallon fish tank as a brooder for all my hatches,same type of drawer liner for the bottom(no wood shavings or anything) and a heat rock as the sorce of heat wrapped in a washcloth after they are all moved out i wash the tank with waterd down bleach and rinse very well. once the chicks started acting strange i quickly took the heat rock out of the tank(the tank had no lid) and moved them into the basement where its cooler and dryer not so much humidity.
    they have never been around any other birds or reptiles or fish tanks even not near a window the first batch of chicks i never lost one not a single one they are all 12 weeks old or so second batch i had one chick out of 5 hatch and its doing wonderfully at 3 weeks old was fed the same diet as these and raised the same in the same room so i dont know if it was just the high temps that killed them or what but im incredably upset all 18 babies just wiped out im so soo soo sad any and all opinions would be very helpful

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Why were they wet? So you removed the heat source from wet chicks and moved them into a cooler room?

3. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    i dont know why they were wet other then the humidity they were acting over-heated and sluggish before becoming wet so i moved them to a cooler dryer area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by