I need some help...please...quickly :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bordercollies4, Mar 2, 2014.

1. bordercollies4

bordercollies4 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Hello, my name is Leah...and I need someone who knows about ducks to help me :(
    My duck is sick and I can't seem to find anywhere to take her for help.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what symptoms is your duck showing? Where do you live? You could go to the duck threads you will find in the "other backyard poultry" forum.

You could also go to "where am I where are you" in the social forum to find your state thread and post on it.

I would send you a pm but, it says you are offline, so you won't know of this reply either till you come back online. There is no way to offer you quick help when can't even reach you.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I am sorry your baby is sick. If you can give some symptoms, maybe we can help get her better. [​IMG]

4. bordercollies4

bordercollies4 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    sorry, new to this...didn't realize my lengthy post could go here, thought introduction only.

I keep a small flock of ducks and geese. We have had a brutal winter here in Illinois, but my ducks and geese are kept inside a large chicken coop. By large, I mean, its an actual building...on a foundation, turbine on the roof for ventilation, tilt in windows all closed up for the winter.
    On nice days,the back door was slid open allowing them to come and go all day, but closed in at night. On bad days, very cold days, they stayed in all day.Everyone was doing just fine, and I have heated waters out there for them.
    My one Rouen female, upon my morning chore arrival, was alone in the corner while the others were waiting at the door to go out. So I walked over and picked her up. She seemed to be unable to stand on her feet, and I noticed her eyes were "squinted". So I brought her indoors into my basement in a large cage. Once she was indoors, where is was consistently warm, her eyes started producing a white foam. So now I had foamy eyes and not being able to walk. I called my horse vet, I called the "general practioner" vet, and although neither felt I needed to bring her in, both suggested she had an upper respiratory infection and told me to put antibiotics in her water. Which I have been doing. Within a few days , she started to improve drastically.She appeared much stronger, was drinking alot of water, has been trying to bathe in the large bowl of water I have in there for her, and has been eating.

However, one eye is still producing foamy stuff a week later. And although she still appears to have trouble walking forward, she stands up tall and strong on her legs. But tonight I noticed something new she is doing....she will drink alot of water, and then it almost looks like she is throwing up.She will shake her head from side to side and long streams of discolored water (yellowish) come flowing out of her bill. This has me very worried....any ideas on what might be going on with her?? I am at a loss as to where to turn with her :(

I am putting an antiobiotic in the eyes, and someone on here (another thread) has informed me that water coming back up is normal. Suggested a probiotic, which I will go to town and look for.
    Her feet have no lumps, bumps, sores, nothing. Although she can stand up straight and tall, she topples forward when she tries to walk. :(

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your duck, looks like you are getting help in the Duck forum for her, hope she is OK.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Respiratory infections in poultry can be very tenacious. Definitely start providing probiotics. It sounds as if the antibiotics may be wiping out her 'good' bacteria. If probiotics are not readily available try giving her some yogurt in her feed.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

8. bordercollies4

bordercollies4 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    still no change...some weight loss though.
    She is quacking ....I have a heat lamp for her, I have fed yogurt...
    Her eyes are "foamy" although I clean them several times a day for her, and I can hear a "wheeze" when she is breathing.
    No appetite, but drinking tremendous amounts of water.

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am sorry your baby is still sick. Did you try posting in the duck section or even the emergency section? Surely someone in these places can help you. I just don't know anything about ducks, at least not enough to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by