I need some help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick raiser, Jan 27, 2013.

1. chick raiser

chick raiser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Hi I have two questions. I would really appreciate if some could provide some help here.

First is on medication. I got Tylan from Chevita. The product is called tylosin+. Apart from tylosin it also contains some vitamins and minerals. On the usage instruction it says that I should NOT give it on birds that are for human consumption. I know that there is a product called Tylan 50. Is there any difference? Is Tylan OK for hens? I mean I have seen here many of you that you use it on hens.

My other question is on feather pecking. I noticed today that a hen pulled and ate a feather from an other hen. It looks like nutrition issue to me. Am I correct? Should I give them some minerals? I am using calcium on their feed. Any other thing that they need?

Thanx a lot.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Tylosin+ on one website is used to treat pigeons. If it's good for pigeons, it should be safe to use in chickens.
    I agree with you on the feather pecking issue. Increase their protein intake, I recommend gamebird feed which is higher in protein than regular layer feed.

3. chick raiser

chick raiser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    It says though on the label, not to be used in birds for human consumption. I guess there has to be a reason for this. This is why I asked if there is a difference between tylosin+ and tylan 50.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Tylan soluable has a one day withdrawal period. As far as the injectable goes, I've dont believe there's a withdrawal period because it metabolizes quickly and is excreted quickly. I dont know about the tylan +. I've used tylan 50 injectable before and ate eggs...still here typing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by