I need some help please..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by olesmokey88, Mar 3, 2013.

1. olesmokey88

olesmokey88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    OK i have been hatching and brooding chicks since i was 13 i am now 24 and just recently got back into it.

OK so here is my question i have some old English game eggs in the bator.

I'm using a little giant still air incubator temp stayed between 98-100 i put 4 eggs in and only one made it to lock down. On day 18 i took the egg out of the turner and kept a watch. That was 6 days ago i didn't hear any peeping or anything but the egg would rock like the chick was getting into position so tonight i had enough and decided to candle and the chick was alive and well but i noticed the air sack looked real weird so i decided to intervene and popped a hole in the egg he was shrink wrapped due to humidity .....[​IMG] so i took a tooth pick and kind of tore the membrane and seen just a small amount of blood so i stopped and took a tiny bit of warm water and dampened the membrane until it was visibly moist i also wrapped a damp towel around the egg. When it became clear i could see some of the yolk still in the egg ??? after 24 almost 25 days is this normal ? the chick is still moving around and breathing normal so idk what to do im sure i have probably killed the chick and my girlfriend is probably going to kill me so any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    David

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never hatched any chicks but will put my first clutch in my incubator at the end of March. I've been reading my new book called Hatching and Brooding Your Own Chicks by Gail Damerow and this is something I just read yesterday: "For a successful hatch, moisture must evaporate from the eggs at just the right rate. ... Overly slow evaporation can lead to mushy chick disease (omphalitis), in which the yolk sac isn't completely absorbed so the navel can't heal properly; as a result bacteria invade through the navel, causing chicks to die at hatching time and for up to 2 weeks afterward." And she also has this to say: "Causes for late hatching include: ...eggs stored too long prior to incubation, temperature too low during incubation,..."

So I'm wondering what you're using for your thermometer and hygrometer? If you're just using the thermometer that came with the LG, maybe it isn't accurate. If you're using another one, maybe it isn't either. I'm thinking that the temp was too low and it was too humid in the incubator.

3. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    I use the same incubator & have serious troubles with getting and keeping humidity up. Wetting the membrane and putting the egg in the damp towel was the right thing to do. I've read lots (husband says too much) and I everything I've come across says that the temp in a still air incubator should be around 102 degrees at the top of the egg instead of the usual 99.5, so your little one could just be a little behind. I'm only on my second hatch and didn't learn that until midway through my first set of eggs.

Just keep a close eye on the chick and make sure the membrane stays nice and moist. I think you can put a little bit of antibacterial ointment on the membrane, too. Might not be a bad Idea to help give the chick a little extra protection since it's in a bit of a sticky situation. Keep us updated!!! [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

As long as the chick is breathing o.k. leave it in the incubator with the humidity high, so it doesn't dry out and wait. If there is blood in the membrane and the yolk is not absorbed yet the chick will need a few more hours before it can come out. So keep the humidity up and give it time, that's all the chick needs now. Here is a good article on assisted hatches that you can look at for more tips and info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Late hatches like this is most often caused by too low incubation temperatures. Even 1*F under the recommended can delay a hatch by as much as 24 hours. I think you should test the temperature with a different thermometer after this hatch is done and make sure that it is correct.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  6. olesmokey88

olesmokey88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Well he didn't make it through the night :( but the saying goes don't count your chickens before they hatch. When I found he had passed I finished cracking the egg open and the yoke had turned green.

I forgot to mention on my previous post that for the first 9 days the egg was upside down and the more I've read indicates that was the main problem. But you live and learn I've got 5 due to hatch on the 5th so fingers crossed

My incubator stays between 98-100 i have 2 different thermometers in it and both read the same i dont have a hygrometer in it but I've always done a dry incubation until the last 5 days I've always had good luck sometimes even 100% but its also been 6 years since I've hatched any. I made a "hatcher" the other day and I believe I'm going to use that as my incubator next time it's forced air with a water heater thermostat and a 100watt bulb always stays between 100-102. I'm going to invest in one of those egg o meters. And a new thermostat for the hatcher. I haven't used it any yet i have been just watching it and making sure it maintains correct temp and humidity the hygrometer reads 65-79 high and low ill try and post pics later of it.

Thanks David

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by