i need some help please!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chixaregreat41, Oct 13, 2013.

1. chixaregreat41

chixaregreat41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    WE are moving our cows to a diferent property for more space but it takes 24 mins to get there can i put my chickens there aswell

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't know the situation so more information is needed.
    What is your concern?

3. chixaregreat41

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    Do chickens need constant attention? Or need to be checked on alot

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It somewhat depends on the breed. The only thing they really need besides good food and water is to be locked securely in the coop from dusk to dawn.

When moving chickens, it's important to confine them to the new home a few days so they imprint on it as a safe place to sleep. Then when let out, pen them close for a couple days so they can become oriented to the new surroundings.
    After that, they'll go in at night on their own.

Good foraging breeds with roosters will keep them fairly safe during the day. You may lose some from time to time but IMO roosters are essential for free ranging chickens. Some people say goats help as may the cows.

5. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

How often are you going to visit the new location?

Once a day? Twice a day? Once a week?

What kind of coop - run - containment will the chickens have there, or will they be free-ranging?

6. chixaregreat41

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    Well i was thinking of letting them free range with a coop aswell i will probably go once a day because i work from 8:00-4:00 i want a rooster that is aggressive (i know, im not smart) i want a RIR rooster and whats the best option fir going up once a day? Free range or in a run?

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can get an automatic door and it won't matter a lot. In lieu of that, you'll need to go twice a day. Sunup and sundown or your chickens will be midnight snacks.
    I prefer free range but it depends on your situation. There is no one answer that fits all situations.

Roosters don't have to be aggressive to be protective.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  8. chixaregreat41

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    Ok well they have 5 acres to themself and 20 acres for the cows were getting some more hens and also hatching some so we will have lots of birds! Can they free range in the winter or should i get rid of or build a heating coop for them?

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I think you are going to find that with a lack of human presence except for once a day you are going to have many, many losses to predators. Heck, predators come out of the woodwork for chickens even when kept near a house with plenty of human activity. Chickens that are off alone like that are going to get picked off fast, especially if they are not secured in a very secure coop at night. If they are out free ranging during the day they are also going to disappear fast. I'm not trying to sound discouraging but it's just reality. A rooster can be a good warning system for hens to try to get to cover but he cannot protect them from fox, raccoon, coyote, bobcat, roaming dogs, etc. etc. The only way I'd keep a flock off alone like that is if they were in a very, very secure coop and run, otherwise there won't be a flock for very long.

10. chixaregreat41

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    Most wont be able to keep a constant eye on there free range birds cafarmgirl i might be able to go 2 times a day but even a person who lives there wont be able to monitor each and every chicken! Wont be a problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by