I need some help to win a breeding for my Mare!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by arizonarancher, Feb 26, 2013.

1. arizonarancher

arizonarancher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona
    Hey everyone! I love this community and I can't believe I didn't think to post my Tessa here first. She's sitting in 2nd place to win a breeding to the Friesian stallion Teake van de Noordhof. All you have to do to help her win is to click her picture on Facebook and 'like' the picture and the stallion's page.

The link is here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5455143.107294.157142411012145&type=1&theater

This is my mare, Condessa:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Back when she wasn't so round from her first pregnancy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Her and her mom in the summer:
    [​IMG]

Thank you everyone, I totally appreciate your time and effort if you vote for her!!

1 person likes this.
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've tried several ways to phrase this well, but there's no easy way to say it.

Why do you want to breed this mare to a Fresian stallion? What makes you think the world needs another mixed breed horse?

I'm sure your mare's nice, but what's so spectacular about her that she needs to be bred? And you're not even staying in the same breed, but making a basically worthless animal.

3. Would "like", but I'm not on Facebook.

4. arizonarancher

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona
    to donrae: I appreciate your kindness and tact with your post. I know exactly where your coming from and I don't believe in breeding worthless animals either. I know that some people don't believe in breeding cross bred horses but when breeding for type I don't think breeds matter. They are two baroque bred horses and I believe I would have an amazing riding horse with beautiful movement from the cross. The stallion is not of hitch type breeding and my mare is a lovely mover. I use them for ranch work and they all have "jobs". I've never bred a horse in my life to sell it. I keep them. This mare for example is a product of my breeding, and she's quite the cow horse. I would much rather breed something knowing the conformation, background and temperment of the parents than buy someone else's problem at this time in my life.

I have the time, facilities and knowledge to raise foals and turn out wonderful working horses that anyone can ride. I also have the money to pay for any animals I bring into this world. I take horses that are free or unwanted and train them too, but ones that I breed for my own riding purposes stay here as a part of the family. I know its hard to understand for some people, but I do like the cross and I think my working horses should also be pretty to look at too.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't do facebook either sorry - but, she is beautiful.

6. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    I usually just skip over these threads because I don't really do the contest thing, but this response is just so well thought out (even though I have no idea what it means) that I'll click on you just to improve the chances that a new animal will be staying with an awesome person.

7. arizonarancher

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona
    Thank you! I have given it a lot of thought :)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    AZ, thanks for taking my post in the spirit it was intended. I actually deleted several posts before I let that one go through! I just have a hard time with all the thoughtless breeding going on, my CL is just a sorry mess of backyard bred horses that folks can't afford to feed anymore and they're hardly broke anyway, and just flat worthless. Oh wait, but some of them are GOLD! and I have to say it did my heart good that you never even mentioned your mare's beautiful color as a reason to breed her! Now, personally, I like to ride a pretty horse more than an ugly or plain horse, all else being equal, but am just so tired of the breeding for color, no thought to conformation or temperment or, well, anything but "If I get a GOLD baby it will sell for whatever I want!".

Your mare is very lovely and I hope you get your breeding. I'm not a facebook person so can't help you there, sorry.

9. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Her dapples are beautiful. [​IMG]

10. arizonarancher

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona

I wouldn't ever breed for color because #1, pretty is as pretty does, and #2 its a complete crapshoot! Tessa's sire was black, and she came out palomino just like her dam. I wasn't even a fan of palominos until I bought her mom and it did finally grow on me. I don't think a horse needs to be a certain color to be pretty, a plain brown horse with the right conformation and presence can look nicer than even the fanciest or rarest of colors.

She is due to foal any day now with her first foal, and she was bred to an imported solid bay PRE Andalusian. So we have pretty much any chance of color, and I'll be happy with any color/sex as long as its healthy!

I hear you on the CL horrors as well. I've had the 'opportunity' of picking up horses that cost near nothing or nothing and turning them into something. I have a young perlino filly I got a few months ago from someone who told me she wasn't worth the hay they were feeding her. I've been training her and riding her, and I think shes worth a lot. She sure wasn't when she arrived, she was pushy and spoiled, kind of wild. She has a solid mind and is learning quickly, she will make some kid a great trail horse some day. It just takes time and patience, and a lot of people who breed for 'aww cute babies' don't realize there is a lot of work involved in raising a horse. When it becomes a terror or pest, its sold off on CL to the first suckers who will take the spoiled thing. None of my babies will ever end up on CL or a low end site being peddled for rent money, that is for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by