I need some help with unexpected genetic coloring crosses

NiteMareTender

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
SW Virginia
Okay, so large mixed flock here but aside from my 4 newest roosters they are all "pure". I have 2 Black Australorp roosters and a FBCM roo. My hens are BR, CM, Welsummers, White Leghorns, EE, Sapphire Gem, Green Eggers, BA, GLW, Marans, ISA brown, Light Brahma, Austra White and a lone Sebright. According to the genetics calculator, with few exceptions (Leghorns, Welsummers, possibly red/brown), allll of my hatchlings should be black since it's so dominant. I had quite a few chicks hatch out unexpected colors including slate gray, light gray and an interesting almost calico with white, brown amd some tiny dark spots. Are my roosters carrying a blue or splash gene? The slate are feather footed so aside from the Brahmas and Majestic Marans, none of my other hens have them so am I right in assuming the FBCM may be the father? Not complaining about colorful babies but I'm trying to better understand recessive genetics. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230516_142412.jpg
    20230516_142412.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 70
Several of those hens can produce chicks that aren’t black. Sapphire gems can have blue chicks. ISA browns and austra whites can have white chicks (probably with black spots). Cuckoo marans and barred rocks can have barred chicks. Sebrights can potentially have laced chicks. I don’t know what your Easte eggers look like, but depending on their color they can also have offspring that aren’t black.

Last edited:
Okay, so large mixed flock here but aside from my 4 newest roosters they are all "pure". I have 2 Black Australorp roosters and a FBCM roo. My hens are BR, CM, Welsummers, White Leghorns, EE, Sapphire Gem, Green Eggers, BA, GLW, Marans, ISA brown, Light Brahma, Austra White and a lone Sebright. According to the genetics calculator, with few exceptions (Leghorns, Welsummers, possibly red/brown), allll of my hatchlings should be black since it's so dominant. I had quite a few chicks hatch out unexpected colors including slate gray, light gray and an interesting almost calico with white, brown amd some tiny dark spots. Are my roosters carrying a blue or splash gene? The slate are feather footed so aside from the Brahmas and Majestic Marans, none of my other hens have them so am I right in assuming the FBCM may be the father? Not complaining about colorful babies but I'm trying to better understand recessive genetics. Thanks!
Wyandotte crossing can produce some unexpected mottling/half lacing. Casic colors on that one make me think Colombian coloring, but not entirely.

This roo
20221225_160638.jpg
(Buff orp x EE) had bielefelders, jersey giants, buff orps, wyandottes, and ee (orange birchen, black body) to cross with. Only way I could find for the next pics to come out was through the Colombian wyandotte.
This
20220616_051457.jpg

Turned into this
20221010_095142.jpg

And this
20220614_183523.jpg

Turned into this
20221009_143320.jpg

And here at even younger
20220522_112910.jpg
20220522_090544.jpg

Wyandotte crossing can produce some unexpected mottling/half lacing. Casic colors on that one make me think Colombian coloring, but not entirely.

This rooView attachment 3508303(Buff orp x EE) had bielefelders, jersey giants, buff orps, wyandottes, and ee (orange birchen, black body) to cross with. Only way I could find for the next pics to come out was through the Colombian wyandotte.
This
View attachment 3508314

Turned into thisView attachment 3508311

And this
View attachment 3508315

Turned into this
View attachment 3508313

And here at even younger View attachment 3508318View attachment 3508319
Those don’t really look like columbian wyandotte crosses. The rooster is gold columbian and columbian wyandottes are silver columbian, so they would probably produce more columbian-looking offspring with less black.

Those don’t really look like columbian wyandotte crosses. The rooster is gold columbian and columbian wyandottes are silver columbian, so they would probably produce more columbian-looking offspring with less black.
The bielefelders are barred, the orps are buff, the giants are black, and the EE are black with orangey birchen heads. Played with genetics calculator....repeatedly....then played with a different one (not kippenjungle, but I can't remember what it was). The ONLY combination that popped the spangles/ half lacing was with the wyandottes, either the Colombian or the silver laced could pop some. I still dont understand it, but I was looking at the birds and asking where it came from.

The bielefelders are barred, the orps are buff, the giants are black, and the EE are black with orangey birchen heads. Played with genetics calculator....repeatedly....then played with a different one (not kippenjungle, but I can't remember what it was). The ONLY combination that popped the spangles/ half lacing was with the wyandottes, either the Colombian or the silver laced could pop some. I still dont understand it, but I was looking at the birds and asking where it came from.
Columbian wyandottes shouldn’t have lacing. Crosses with buff and black can produce “pseudo lacing”, such as the examples below:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-copper-maran-x-buff-orpington.1319533/post-25092612

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lavender-x-buff-orpington-cross.982278/post-17364295

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/buff-black-orpington-cross.578080/post-8833373
The calculator would not show it because it’s considered leakage (the calculator does not account for leakage).

Columbian wyandottes shouldn’t have lacing. Crosses with buff and black can produce “pseudo lacing”, such as the examples below:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-copper-maran-x-buff-orpington.1319533/post-25092612

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lavender-x-buff-orpington-cross.982278/post-17364295

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/buff-black-orpington-cross.578080/post-8833373
The calculator would not show it because it’s considered leakage (the calculator does not account for leakage).
The calculator I was playing with did show leakage/unlikely to pop genetics. the roos I posted have that "pseudo" lacing.

I also had a roo: gold penciled hamburg x brown leghorn. According to kippenjungle, that crossing will be incomplete penciled on all the chicks. Between my chick and the 3 chicks at my in-laws (we split the hatch), 4 chicks of that cross: 2 boy, 2 girl. The only leghorn body was my roo. ALL 4 had the leghorn colors that weren't supposed to happen.
20230423_132814.jpg

I have the parents too.

The calculator I was playing with did show leakage/unlikely to pop genetics. the roos I posted have that "pseudo" lacing.

I also had a roo: gold penciled hamburg x brown leghorn. According to kippenjungle, that crossing will be incomplete penciled on all the chicks. Between my chick and the 3 chicks at my in-laws (we split the hatch), 4 chicks of that cross: 2 boy, 2 girl. The only leghorn body was my roo. ALL 4 had the leghorn colors that weren't supposed to happen. View attachment 3508328
I have the parents too.
I wouldn’t expect all offspring from that cross to be (transverse) penciled, it’s strange that the calculator said that. Especially as penciled hamburg roosters usually don’t have any pencilling at all. Unfortunately, no calculator can account for all possible expressions of leakage, and it can be difficult to enter in the precise genetics of certain breeds/colors.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom