I need some HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TillysChickies

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 20, 2011
So, here is my dilemma! I want to have chickens badly. I want to have them for pets as well as enjoying the eggs! I had chickens when I was a small girl and want my three daughters to enjoy this experience as well. I checked my CCR's and it states, "absolutely no poultry!" BUT!!!! This is what the city lists as it ordinance. Do you think if I got the Chickies and got "found out" that I could sucessfully fight this issue based on these City statutes? I would HATE to make the investment and fall in love and then find out that I cannot keep them. I live in Chula Vista, CA in the Eastlake area. Does anyone know of anyone else who has a backyard flock in this area?

6.04.080 Rabbits, domestic fowl and pigeons – Quantity permitted.
Twelve (12) rabbits, 12 hen chickens, four hen turkeys, four ducks, four geese, 25 pigeons (all breeds) may be kept by one family on a tract of land, providing it has a minimum of 7,000 square feet therein and contains not more than one single-family dwelling unit thereon; provided, however, that the total number of all fowls and rabbits shall not exceed 25. (Ord. 774 § 1, 1961; prior code § 4.6(A)).

6.04.090 Rabbits and domestic fowl – Housing restrictions.
Rabbits and fowl shall be kept or maintained within a building or fenced enclosure in the rear yard, as defined by the zoning ordinance of the city, and shall be not less than 50 feet from any residence, not including the owner’s, and not less than five feet from any property line adjacent to the owner’s property. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to parakeets, canaries and similar birds. (Ord. 1639 § 1, 1975; Ord. 774 § 1, 1961; prior code § 4.6(B)).

You could have quail. I didn't see anything that would preclude them, because they little birds. I do know that the folks in Long Beach are fighting the same thing. Do a search for Long Beach CA. You should be able to learn how far the group has come that way.

And welcome to BYC from the soggy side of Western Washington.
welcome-byc.gif

Im confused.... I dont see that it says you cant have chickens, unless your property is smaller than 7,000 sq ft. An acre is 43,560 sq ft. How big is your lot?

Right but OP says city says no chickens then posts "rules", but rules dont say no chickens. We cannot assume the size of the lot.... never been to Cali

The CITIES rules allow the chickens. My lot is large enough, it is the HOMEOWNER'S ASSOCIATION that has bylaws that say NO POULTRY... So I am debating doing it anyway. I had NO IDEA what I was getting into when I bought in a HOA neighborhood. They have issues about EVERYTHING!

If the HOA is against it, you're out of luck. HOA will win over the city any day.
hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom