I NEED SOME HENS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nxb161, Mar 2, 2013.

1. nxb161

nxb161 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    Can anyone help me? I'm in NorthEast PA area. I am looking to get 3 young hens, not chicks.
    Americana & Buff Orphington & Bard Rock. I am not sure if my contact to get them is going to pan out after all.
    I am all ready, have my coop, run, food,...all setup and now i just need to get some girls. If anyone knows of anyone
    please let me know, thank you! I'm so ready to get started, thanks.

2. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    have you checked craigslist? they always have something good.

3. nxb161

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    yes, nothing good on craigslist, first thing I checked, they have chicks listed, but that won't work.

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Meyer Hatchery in Polk Ohio sells started pullets.

5. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    just keep waiting and checking everyday something will come up.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Post a wanted ad on craigslist. Just put it in as a sale ad and title it wanted. I did this when I was looking for chicks and someone contacted me that doesn't advertise on CL.
    Can't hurt and its free. You never know you could make up someones mind that is deciding to sell. Check around and see if your area has flea markets that sell birds. Here they are everywhere. You need to be careful, I've been outright lied to about age but it is a possibility.

Check on BYC in your state's thread in the "where am I where are you" section and check the "chickenstocks" thread too.

7. nxb161

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    Thanks,
    I did reply to a few CL ads, they were for chicks, but thought maybe they might know someone in the area that had young hens. I figure chicken people might know other chicken people
    [​IMG]

edit: I also just posted an AD on craigslist, wish me luck.

What is the youngest age that you'd have birds outside (20F - 40F) is the range this time of year, but its getting warmer by the week.
    Or does it depend wildly on the breed ? or does it go on a bird by bird basis with how the feathers come in?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  8. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    the youngest? well i would say 10 weeks. [​IMG] but the older the better.
    You didnt make the ad just for the specific breeds you wanted right? Because usually people wont have the exact breeds you want. I just noticed up there you had three breeds you wanted. [​IMG]

also, have them send you a photo. dont let them fool you with a rooster saying its a hen. people do that. [​IMG]

9. nxb161

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    yeah, i'll be more flexible, but def needs to be a hen [​IMG]

10. chicksNbookrm

chicksNbookrm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi I don't know if you found what you were looking for. I have some EE's that lay blue and blue green eggs, eight month old pullets. I'm in the Finger Lakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by