I need some ideas for a new chicken breed to add to my flock.

JT_Chicks

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
I’ve been wanting to start breeding chickens of the same breed but has a variety of colors in that breed. A cool chicken breed that also has a good egg laying ability. If you have any ideas please post or if you just have a chicken breed that is just totally random post that too I’m open to all ideas!!

I’ve been wanting to start breeding chickens of the same breed but has a variety of colors in that breed. A cool chicken breed that also has a good egg laying ability. If you have any ideas please post or if you just have a chicken breed that is just totally random post that too I’m open to all ideas!!
I'm looking at different leghorn varieties and breeds like the Norwegian Jaerhon
Looking also for good layers but better feathering colors ones that can elude predators & good feed conversion as well.
Sandhill Preservation has many unusual breeds, also seen some on Ideal Poultry and Privett Hatchery websites.

It would depend if you want a large breed standard breed bantam or true bantam.

Brahmas are good for a large breed
Arunacanas for standard breed
Silkies for bantam
And jap bantams for true bantams

While I don’t have Brahma’s yet I’ve got a friend who breeds them in one hatch she had 13 babies from 13 eggs

My Arunacanas breed and lay eggs like there’s no tomorrow.. and the pretty blue eggs are a bonus… I’ve got 2 males and 2 females and the colours they produce range from light lavender to blue to splash… and every thing inbetween

My silkies while not the best at egg laying have managed to produce 1 blue splash baby… I’m hoping for a better outcome next season

My jap bantam while she was mated by various Roos managed to hatch 12 out of 15 babies she only got one clutch as she decided to play foster mum to all chicks hatched over the season… they make wonderful parents

I really wanted English Isabel Orpington this year but after two failed egg hatching attempts. I am just just to disappointed to try again right now. 🥹

I really wanted English Isabel Orpington this year but after two failed egg hatching attempts. I am just just to disappointed to try again right now. 🥹
Keep trying… don’t give up… play with the settings of the incubator (lower humidity/ lower temp) no all eggs follow the “normal range” I hatched more ducklings and chicks using a almost “dry” humidity and a much lower temp than I did following what we know as being the “ideal” temp and humidity

Back
Top Bottom