I need some ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by slim1986, Nov 1, 2011.

1. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    I'm building a coop special for my OEG bantams, I need cute nesting box ideas, I have an old mailbox already but was wondering what other things people have used? Thanks for any stories and ideas!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    How about a plastic flower pot, and you nail it to the side of the coop (Bottom against the wall) then you put a little barrier across the opening so the nesting stuff doesn't fall out, but hen can still get in and out......

I hope you can picture that......

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  4. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Thanks yall! And I was thinking a flower pot the other day!

5. bantamboy

bantamboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    Quote:what is a OEG bantam

6. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    OEG=Old English Game mine are silver duckwings, I got them at the poultry swap/auction here for my daughter, she'll be 3 in feb, but she said "awww daddy look! Its baby chickens!" And I just couldn't resist the "baby chickens" lol

7. bantamboy

bantamboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    aww thats sweet [​IMG] i use to have a few old english game bantams im trying to get back up and going with all of them my goal is to have some of every type like i use to have im pretty excited so we will see how it goes

8. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Milk crates
    Old wooden boxes
    kitty litter boxes
    some furniture with big 'pigeon hole' aperatures

9. Shell-in-NE

Shell-in-NE Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    We made nesting "boxes" in a dresser. Only the top has a drawer front nailed on to make it still look like a dresser. Where the middle drawers would be we cut out everything between those two to make the nesting area taller, and put a board for the bottom, a board to divide in the middle so theres two side by side, and put a board on the front to help keep the straw in. Then also nailed on a perch to the front. Where the bottom drawer would be, we kept that space open and put straw in there .. one of our hens likes it that way.

10. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Awesome! Thanks everyone for the ideas! When I get everything put together and set up, I'll post some pics up here! Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by