I need some immediate help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CaptainCtza, Sep 2, 2016.

1. CaptainCtza

CaptainCtza Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Scotland
    Hi
    I had 25 broiler chickens
    They're about one and a half month old.
    5 days ago I have noticed that they had some respiratory issues, they had been sneezing. I went to the pharmacist and he gave me several antibiotics to give them. One of them is erythromycin I think. Yesterday, one of them has died. Today, I've found that all of them are never moving. They're only laying on the ground but never moving. I gave them their feed which mostly looks like this; http://www.dansdata.com/images/blog/chookpellets1280.jpg
    Afterwards, they layed on the ground and never moved like they used to, It seems like they're pretty heavy for their legs. I don't have a clue whether that's pathological or not. The room temperature is about 34°C. Their noses are runny, I get their food and their water changed three times a day. I have fears that they may all die. Help?

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Welcome to BYC, i have not raised Broilers in a very long time, we generally slaughtered around 10-12 weeks
    yours seem to be too young to be having weight issues yet but what percentage protein are you feeding?
    Do you have any photos of the birds?
    How is the ventilation?

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2016
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It sounds like they have a respiratory illness, sneezing with runny noses.

Can I ask, are they in a brooder? You mention the room temperature is 34C which if my calculations are correct, that would be 93.2F.
    Are you providing the heat or is this just the temperature this time of year where you live? If you are providing the heat, then they may also be overheating in addition to being ill. At 1 1/2 months old that much heat is not needed.

Also how much space do they have and what does their poop look like?

Make sure they are staying hydrated. Let us know how they are doing.

4. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    also had this thread, that said they are on a roof:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1128596/lethargic-and-one-eye-shut#post_17424674

5. CaptainCtza

CaptainCtza Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Scotland
  6. CaptainCtza

CaptainCtza Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Scotland

Right, the ventilation isn't quite good at night since I cover the windows of the room so it doesn't get so cold in there.

I don't know what the percentage of protein that their food contains to be quite honest.
    And I think I can submit a picture of the ones remained in the morning.

Another chicken has just unfortunately died. I don't know why :( .

7. CaptainCtza

CaptainCtza Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Scotland

Yep. It was the room temperature at the time I posted the thread, in the afternoon. About 23°C at night. I felt that the chickens themselves are overheating.

The room they are in is pretty spacious.
    They're now 22 :( in about six square metres.

Their poop is dark green in colour.

They're always kept hydrated and well fed.

It all happened suddenly, they all were pretty fine. Suddenly, a 3 days ago I woke up and found that one of them is dead, which is broke my heart. A couple of hours ago as well, I went to check them out, I found that another one is dying, I stood beside her watching her until she died. I am so sad right now, I feel pretty frustrated.

Would they cause any health issues to human body if they're slaughtered in this condition?

8. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Unfortunately meat birds are not usually kept in pristine health, I know the last time we slaughtered we knew it was 'time' because we lost 2 in one day but they were huge birds

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

1 person likes this.
  10. CaptainCtza

CaptainCtza Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Scotland

You mean that because the antibiotics they were given it would be harmful if they are slaughtered early? Because, I really want to get them all slaughtered right now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by