1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i need some opinions..... please.. (:

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lcw1995, Dec 15, 2010.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    in the spring im getting 1 BA pullet, 1 BO pullet, 1 delaware pullet, 1 RIR pullet, and 1 SS pullet.
    all for laying and possibly broody hens

then im getting:
    2 birchen modern game
    2 brown red modern game
    2 lemon blue modern game
    2 red pyle modern game
    all for looks and amusement

that will/should bring my total up to $37.04, if i did my math right.

i want to go up to $50.00.... im ordering from ideal hatchery.

thing is im not sure what else i want to get. perferably bantams or smaller standards.
    i need some ideas... please help me.. i want to be the first to put my order in so i get what i want before they get sold out.
    thanks.
    cole.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    My opinion is that you should order more of the breeds you listed. You see all the time where people plan out what they want in their flock and order that exact number but you dont know if all the chicks are going to survive the transit and if they are going to survive to adulthood once you get them so you should always order more than what you want your actucal numbers in the flock to be to give you a better chance of making sure you end up with that number in the end, and then once they are grown, sell all the excess birds and just keep the numbers you were planning in the first place.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:agreed!

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Yes, I agree to order more of each breed than you really want, because you will most likely lose some due to wharever.
    Another thing to remember is that if you order less than 100 chicks they (Ideal) will charge you a $10.00 handling fee and for any breed that is under 25 chicks is another $1.00 (I think) fee, you'll have to look at the fine print on the shipping birds part.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Quote:thats good to know.
    thank you.!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by