1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need some opinions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coolcanoechic, Nov 8, 2011.

1. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been searching online for days looking for a heated chicken waterer that would be just right for 3 full sized hens. I am a newbie and trying to get everything set up just right for when the hens arrive. Just when I think I want to buy something, I read the reviews and back off. Can anyone relate their experiences with heated chicken waterers to help me make a decision? Thanks everyone.
    Nancy [​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/farm-livestock/livestock-supplies-equipment/watering-feeding/farm-innovations-poultry-waterer-heated-base?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search

this
    is the one I use...love it. I keep it in the coop, in the corner, it turns itself on at around 32*....keeps the water from freezing...that is until it drops to the sub zeros...then you usually only need to scoop out the ice. I had to take it in the house once last year at -20* and thaw it out...not bad!

3. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been looking at those. The plastic waterers have had some issues, so I have noticed by reading the reviews. These bases you showed me....they can only be used with metal waterers? Is using a metal waterer with the metal base the best way to go?

4. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I do like my metal waterer, never had an issue with it...I can sterilize it easier I think and it won't crack in extreme cold...

worth buying if you are serious and don't want to replace a plastic one...just my opinion though!

5. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:yes, only with metal

6. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    maybe you should check out some of the cookie tin heater post there cheap and seem to work well.

7. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    I use a 2.5 gallon bucket with nipples ( one or two) and and a 25 watt aquarium heater. A bit do it yourself but clean water all the time and low watts.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Three hens? Heated dog bowl....no problems, no issues, just a bowl that doesn't allow the water to freeze. End of story.

9. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I just bought this one about two weeks ago for my three hens.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...ies/Heated-Waterer-Plastic-3-Gallon-p505.aspx

I just noticed your concern about the plastic waterers. I haven't have any problems however, I really wish you could fill it from the top. This one fills from the bottom and you have to flip it over to put it in place. It's a little awkward to carry also. I wasn't willing to spend the $50+ on the metal base heater though so the plastic one was my only option. So far so good.

10. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I can't say how a heated dog bowl works for chickens, but I've had the same one for my dog for 8+ years and it's also the everyday waterer- works great year after year. Came from TSC, it's what I'll use for my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by