I need some reassurance before I give these Delawares away...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by macmama, Jul 20, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    7 weeks. Both roos, right? Absolutely sure?
    Ugh, I'm brilliant at sexing chicks. I just pick the friendliest, sweetest chicks I have, and they turn into roosters every time. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (the 2 in back)
    [​IMG]

Also, anyone want to tell me I have at least ONE LB pullet? I can't be unlucky enough to pick 4/4 roos, right?!?
    They hold their tails differently, so I'm hoping that means I got one girl. The one on the right in the second pic has some tree trunks going on, but other than that their faces/combs/wattles look about the same. They are 7 weeks too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    I'm going to vote cockerel on the two in question, but I'm only going to offer a 50% guarantee.

I can't help you with the Light Brahma. I have never seen or heard of one around here.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'm voting that yeah, those 2 Delawares are both boys. I got 8 Delawares back in May - out of them 6 are boys, so I think I'm very sure. [​IMG] I don't know anything about Light Brahmas really... But if the one in the picture is 7 weeks as well, then I vote for girl. [​IMG]

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    t vote 2 boys and a girl for the brahma and she looks cute. mine has got to be a cock.

5. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    I don't have an answer for the delawares but my light brahmas could be sexed by their tail feathers. The cockerels had soft tail feathers at that age while the pullets had hard ones. From what I can see in pic #3 yours looks like a pullet. If I had to guess in pick #4, if the left (standing) chicken has soft tail feathers, I'd say boy. The right (standing) one appears to have hard tail feathers, so I'd say girl. It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures though.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Next time choose the ones with the smallest feet and narrowest head, least cartilage over the bridge of the nose, smallest beak. You can make them friendly later. Almost always the most confident, friendly ones are roosters.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    The first two are Roos for sure and the Brahma is a pullet. Looks like you have some really nice birds.

8. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:I picked these out as day-olds to add to the ones my broody hatched, and I picked all chicks with the most wing-development. Apparently that was a really bad idea. I'll try your way next time. [​IMG]

9. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Your brahma is a girl. I have two of them and one has HUGE tree trunks for legs, but they are both girls. That is the only way I can tell them apart.

And your Delawares both look like boys to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by