1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need some suggestions please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 808hawaiian, Mar 8, 2016.

1. 808hawaiian

808hawaiian Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    My chicken first egg just hatch its 11:00pm and i was woundering what kine chicken food to get the chicks if i have them in da cage? N how long they can go with out eating till the morning?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A chicken chick can go up to 48 hours without food and water. That's why day old chicks can be shipped.
    However, the sooner they get food and water the better.

If you can find a store with chicken feed - a chick starter feed, is the best choice because it is nutritionally complete for growing chicks and the hen and rooster can eat it too.
    However, if there is good forage, the hen will show the chick what else to eat. Make sure water is close by.

If there are other eggs, the hen is still sitting and she detects more hatching is imminent, she may wait a day or two before taking the chick out to eat and drink.
    Bottom line is, given the opportunity, the mother will do all the work.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your first chick :celebrate ChickenCanoe has left you some excellent advice. The learning centre also has some great articles in the raising chicks section that I'm sure you will find most useful ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck :frow

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already received some good advice so I'll just say hello!

5. 808hawaiian

Mar 1, 2016
    Ok thank u this makes me feel a lot better n yes she still sitting on 10 more eggs unless some more hatch last nite

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. 808hawaiian

Mar 1, 2016
    Hey guys is it normal if my hen killed her 1st chick dat hatch lastnite and is eating it? this is her first batch n first chick should i be concerned n separate her from her eggs i dont no what to do

8. 808hawaiian

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi is it normal if my hen killed her 1st chick dat hatch lastnite and is eating it? this is her first batch n first chick should i be concerned n separate her from her eggs i dont no what to do

9. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear your hen killed the chick :hugs

I've not got much experience with broody hens and mine just got on with it without problems. I have read though that they can sometimes kill them especially first time hens. Please do drop by the broody hen thread ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread
    I'm sure the folk with regular broodies will be able to help you.

10. 808hawaiian

Mar 1, 2016
    I will thank u

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by